What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J J Scotch Ale at my daughter's house.
20240201_174316.jpg

“The hits just keep on coming! – That’s 50’s-80’s Top 40 radio talk, and the same applies to all these delicious San Diego-area IPAs! Great job!

Today I’m splitting my 4-can presentation for the sake of sobriety and my IPA-swamped organs. Pizza Port out of Carlsbad has been on the scene since 1987, making it one of the true pioneers of the San Diego area beer scene. I’ll drink the first two cans today and chug the other two tomorrow.

I could find 4 Pizza Port IPAs, no doubt there are many more. As I’ve mentioned before, a lot of the creativity in brewing is in IPAs these days. Many of the other beers are more range-bound in their flavor, IBU color and appearance profiles. Not IPAs – the hops and the sky’s the limit!

Ponto IPA is a super-easy drinking “session” IPA (how often do you see that!?) At 4.5% it is an easy chugger, very light and spritzy, and a great starter IPA to get your BMC friends feet wet!

Swami’s - I’ve had good remarks on Swami’s before, thought I’d hit it again for this weeks’ Pizza Port tour. At 6.8% ABV, this is a delicious beer and has been brewed by Pizza Port since 1992. A terrific SoCal tradition.

My pick? Ponto! Surprisingly fresh and delicious, a terrific session-strength IPA. Enjoy!

View attachment 840653
The Vacant for Winter goes down real smoothly. It's a dangerous IPA.

My wife set up a blind tasting of my homebrewed Nelson heavy hazy double ipa and Fidens hazy double ipa with just Nelson. Pretty impressed how my beer went head to head (once I was told which one is mine). Which one do you think is which? View attachment 840730
I say yours in on the right? Both look enjoyable.

Breaking these multi-IPA choice breweries into Chapter 1 and Chapter 2 is really the way to go. Weekends, I can handle the big reviews, 4-5 pints. Weekdays I’ve gotta get up the next day ladies and fellas. I need time to dry out!

These two Pizza Port beers really hit home what I’ve been suspecting – they are SO SIMILAR I really can’t even tell the difference. I have their hopping picks, I suspect the base beer is nearly identical. I think this way breweries can put out a lot of variants, just different hops in each big batch.

Vacant for Winter IPA – Excellent conventional 7.0% ABV IPA. Hops are Mosasic, Idaho 7, Citra and Loral. Perfectly balanced, just what you are expecting in an IPA.

Finding Paradise IPA – Excellent conventional 7.0% ABV IPA. Hops are Nelson, Citra, Eldorado and Centennial. Perfectly balanced, just what you are expecting in an IPA.

I for the life of me cannot discern any difference between these two. They are essentially the same beer based on my IPA-saturated taste buds. Maybe I need more between-brew pretzels or something….! Cheers

IMG_6803.jpeg

My wife set up a blind tasting of my homebrewed Nelson heavy hazy double ipa and Fidens hazy double ipa with just Nelson. Pretty impressed how my beer went head to head (once I was told which one is mine). Which one do you think is which? View attachment 840730
No idea, I'll guess "left" is yours, but both look delicious!!

Last edited:
Darker yellowish orange is definetly fidens. Did you use any citra hot side? I know fidens throws in some Citra in their all Nelson beers.

Darker yellowish orange is definetly fidens. Did you use any citra hot side? I know fidens throws in some Citra in their all Nelson beers.
Correct. I’m on the left orchid on the right.

I used citra whole cone and galaxy hotside. Then deyhoped with citra lupomax, galaxy, and some Freestyle Nelson I was lucky to get my hands on.

Having a TX beer, courtesy of the neighbors. A nice IPA, albeit a little fizzy.

View attachment 840716
I always enjoyed the Negro version a bit better. Not bad for a Bud! 🤣

Work sucks and making me rethink the hiatus! Anyway, time for lunch.
Screenshot_20240203-132704.png
PXL_20240203_192542346.PORTRAIT.jpg

this may sound snooty but I chose left due to brighter (less oxidized) look of the fresher left one

Correct. I’m on the left orchid on the right.

I used citra whole cone and galaxy hotside. Then deyhoped with citra lupomax, galaxy, and some Freestyle Nelson I was lucky to get my hands on.

One of my daughters lives up in NorCal. She and her clan are beginning to worry about losing Beermeister32 to this IPAFest 2024 Extravaganza. Quite honestly, I’m beginning to worry a bit too. If I see another can of IPA, I think I’m going to go out of my mind! NOT!

The truth is, we come from solid beer-drinking stock. For example, I have a video of her riding a mechanized bull after polishing off a bunch of beer, I know this capability runs in families “Y’all” !!! My Dad even made beer in the 1960’s… Back in the saddle again!

Today we’ll be hitching up next to some Northwest beers out of Seattle, my old stomping grounds. I guess to you High ABV Lager-soaked Canadians, that’s the Southwest! Ha!

Elysian Brewing, since 1996, needs no introduction. Their “Space Dust” IPA is one of the top selling in California. But it doesn’t stop there! I was able to round up even more Elysian IPAs. Cloaked in cans all relating to Outer Space, or making Human Contact of various sorts, the creativity of these IPA brew crews is unending!

Contact Haze – A 6.2% ABV Hazy, but not too hazy. I even upended the can a couple times to agitate the haze, but this is what you get. Mild hoppiness on this one, they packed the back end with flavor and aroma hops to keep the IBU’s down.

Space Dust – These days, their 8.2% ABV Space Dust is their Flagship beer. I also upended this one a bit, I thought “Dust” might mean hazy, but it isn’t. So is it a Westie? Not that either. Up to interpretation I think. Tasty IPA

Full Contact Imperial IPA – at 8.8%, Full Contact is Boozy, hoppy and full. Just like me after this review. Actually, it is a bit heavy for my taste, I blended it back with Contact haze to drop the ABV down a bit. Cheers!

IMG_6813.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back