What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HB Amber Ale.
6D190DBD-E51E-4A6C-96C0-B35B6AF60A1B.jpeg

This is St. Bernardus Christmas Ale, from a year ago.

When I tried it last year, it seemed to have way too much funk to it, and the head seemed coarse. I basically liked it, but I was not eager to finish the 4-pack.

Tonight I pulled one out, and I didn't taste much of the funk at all. More of the fruitcake flavors came out. And the head seemed nice and fine.

Does sitting in a refrigerator for very long times improve beers? I guess it does. It has improved beers I made.

I wonder if it's a mistake to judge this beer by a fresh bottle.

Attachments

• 24 -1 19 St Bernardus small.jpg
    24 -1 19 St Bernardus small.jpg
    269.4 KB · Views: 0
This is St. Bernardus Christmas Ale, from a year ago.

When I tried it last year, it seemed to have way too much funk to it, and the head seemed coarse. I basically liked it, but I was not eager to finish the 4-pack.

Tonight I pulled one out, and I didn't taste much of the funk at all. More of the fruitcake flavors came out. And the head seemed nice and fine.

Does sitting in a refrigerator for very long times improve beers? I guess it does. It has improved beers I made.

I wonder if it's a mistake to judge this beer by a fresh bottle.
I keep a solid collection of StB in my cellar.

I always find it on sale too. Picked up this magnum during the holidays because no one was buying it.

Gonna hide it and hopefully surprised in a bunch of years
PXL_20240120_021926676.jpg

Do you think aging it at fridge temps improves it? I really like it now.
Aging it out in the fridge is probably the best way. In reality it's aging slowly due to the cooler temp. So you have a slower change. Where sometimes my cellar gets to around 60° which causes it to age faster. I do find most things aged in my fridge are better. It's just my opinion. I also age Rasputin which is pasteurized but for some reason I taste a difference when aged.

StB has an interesting history with Westleveran. I've been lucky enough to be able to age some of them. There's a time period where the Westy gets a little hot. I've never had a StB that got hot which you kind of explained.

Now you got me wondering I should crack an old one for the NFL playoffs 🤔

I have often remarked on the Sierra Nevada Torpedo I left in my roasting-hot workshop for a year or so. I liked it better after the abuse. More caramel flavor, and not as harsh. Or so it seemed to me.

I have an Old Rasputin I have had for a few months. Maybe it's even better now.

BTW, SHOMER SHABBOS!!!!

If the mods delete that because of the religious content, it means THEY HAVE NO FRAME OF REFERENCE. They're like children who wander into the middle of a movie...

Ct4DkT7VYAAuuzx.jpg

IMG_3393.jpeg
IMG_3392.jpeg
My wife and oldest are in NYC for the weekend. My youngest was dropped off to a friends house after basketball practice.
After running a two hour practice I decided to buy a cheap cabinet to install in the garage. This way I can move majority of my beer glasses out of the beer fridge and have more room for beer. Novel thought, huh? 🤣🤣

Deschutes, oh how I miss you!
My first sniff of Obsidian in twenty years prompted an audible, “Oh, wow!” The first sip prompted me to say something I can’t share here.

They are a quality brewery that makes a product that doesn’t leave you feeling ripped off.

Day 20 of the January IPA extravaganza, and nowhere near the end of the Beermeister32 stash. I’m telling ya, these IPA’s are like the stars, they are NEVER ENDING!!!

Today we take a snapshot in time, all the IPA’s I was able to round up from Brewery X, Anaheim, California, since 2018. I just have this lingering feeling that there are another dozen or so I couldn’t find. That’s how it is in the IPA world. We work years at making the perfect Pilsner, or Stout, or Oktoberfest. IPA’s aren’t that. IPA’s are fulfilling the crazy and hoppy indulgences of Brewery owners and Brewmasters everywhere. It just doesn’t end! Make one batch call it some funny name. Tweak that batch and give it another name. Most importantly, sell them ALL to your customers!

In order of ABV we have:

Slap & Tickle IPA – 6.7% ABV, and tasty. This is a classic Westie, I taste Simcoe. Great beer.

Quack IPA – 7% ABV – The can says this beer is the official fan beer of the Anaheim Ducks. Tastes a lot like Slap & Tickle without the Simcoe. Maybe that was an adjustment to please the beer masses who just want a simple IPA at the game.

Halo – 7% ABV - Again, not so different from Quack. Not really tasting much difference here. This makes me suspect a lot of beers in the IPA realm might use common base recipes for the malts with slight tweaks to the hops. Very close to Quack in my humble opinion.

Tumble Time – 7% ABV - Again, very similar to Halo. Color looks like a bit of C40 added, but again very similar beer.

Roulette – 7.4% ABV - I’m starting to sound like a recording, but Roulette is also similar to Quack, Halo & Tumble Time. Says Citrus and Mosaic hops on the can. It just has the hazy muddy murk going on, and really not too much of it.

To wrap up, these beers are all very similar, there is less difference between them than at other breweries I’ve tasted. All good, all West Coast style except for Roulette which is a Hazy NEIPA. I see their advertising all over the Ontario Airport video monitors, makes me thirsty just looking! Next time in Anaheim, give them a try, their SoCal advertising budget must be huge! Hey that means good beer right?

IMG_6647.jpeg

Last edited:
@Beermeister32 None of those are session beers...I admire your stamina and always respect your eloquent opinion :). On topic: 2 great beers courtesy of @fourfarthing ..."Portrait of a Panic Attack", mixed fermentation, brewed a few years ago. Aged on oak and currants. A light and refreshing beer with flavors as expected from the description. Not a sour, and seems low abv, great depth and complexity. The other..."Minor Chords of Major Works", a dark sour with only subtle lactic sour flavor. More carbonation, which lightens the dark flavor, no roastiness. Very quaffable and makes me want a sixer. Exactly the kind of beers I was hoping for when I drafted his selection at the last Fellowship of the Homebrew. For those not in the know, there is a new trade upcoming, join in!
IMG_5253.jpg
IMG_5254.jpg
FotHB XIX: Legal to Drink in Canada

B'ham brewed hazy IPA just to try something different for me. I avoid IPAs since the ones I have tried locally have always seemed to be trying to see how much bitterness they can cram in, blowing up my palate for anything that comes after. This hazy isn't that. Kinda like a slightly sweet alcoholic grapefruit/citrus smoothie with some lingering slight hop bitter. Not bad but not something I would drink very often.
IMG_20240120_173812.jpg

Latest posts

Back