What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Breaking my fast for just one pils. Wanted to try Suarez for years.
Thanks @fourfarthing!

IMG_1142.jpeg

First sample of a split ipa batch. Not clear yet but it’s been carbed for 2 days. WLP002 and US05. Quite a difference comes through even with the heavy dose of chinook and cascade cryo. I also put some willamette in the hopstand, and that was a great idea.

The 002 is better to my palate, it has a nice bitter finish reminiscent of Stone or Firestone Walker ipas.
IMG_3156.jpeg

Another fantastic San Diego brewer is Alesmith Brewing Company, since 1995. I was able to round up two Alesmith IPA brews this month. I’ve had other Alesmith IPAs, I think a lot of the availability has to do with the distributor’s buying preferences and the seasonality of some of these brews.

Party Tricks IPA – REALLY a great IPA, so traditional. Really reminds me a lot of Stone IPA, the beer that originally brought me to the IPA dance. 6.8% ABV, Strata, El Dorado and Citra hops, this West Coaster is perfect!

Tower of Flower – Actually a collaboration between Alesmith and Beachwood Brewing out of Long Beach, California. This is another West Coaster, 6.8% ABV and featuring Galaxy, Cashmere and Nelson hops. Tasty!

Both brews have nice head, look very similar and have similar lacing. Obviously the IPA crew is dialed in. My favorite? Party Tricks – you knew what I was thinking!

IMG_6617.jpeg

Language is a funny thing. Words are derivative of other words, they grow, ebb and flow. Take this IPA for example – Ubahdank West Coast IPA. Break it down – Ubah is funny gibberish slang for "Uber." Uber is German. Uber means “above,” “outstanding” or a “supreme example” of something. Dank means a lot of things. 20 years ago it meant you had some weird funky smell in your basement. Then it takes on this Earthy forest and soil thing, then with Marijuana, stinky feet, a few people and other things we call dank. That gets appropriated by the Hop Heads as a perfect descriptor of some of the Earthy, piney weird flavors in some hops. So, put it all together – Ubah, meaning Uber, and dank, meaning DANK! Ubahdank! I love it!

Ubahdank it is, a delicious 7.2% ABV West Coast style IPA made with 2 row and UK Golden Promise malts, the “C” hops and some Mosaic to help that danky thing along. Really a terrific IPA, I’m getting that “dank” on the back end especially.

Ubahdank is brewed in Sacramento, home of dank aplenty, and I'm not talking brews. Most things in Sacramento we can cast into the dumpster of human depravity. Not this IPA! Save New Glory Craft Brewery, it’s some of the only good coming out of Sacto these days!

IMG_6622.jpeg

Three Weavers Brewing Company produces this 9.2% ABV masterpiece “Gigaton” in Inglewood, California. This tasty Double IPA (heck, nearly a Triple) uses 2-row barley, wheat, trusty US-05 yeast, El Dorado and Chinook hops.

This is an incredible IPA, it’s very drinkable at the 9.2% booze, no “light beer diluting mixer” needed here!

Fantastic head no doubt helped by the wheat, superb lacing, Gigaton’s a winner! Enjoy!

IMG_6631.jpeg
IMG_6632.jpeg

Back