What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_5676.jpeg

my La Chouffe clone bloody hell it’s good. Never tasted the original but followed a recipe and wow.

Just finished brew day, having a HB best bitter.

Brewed a lager, half pilsner half Munich I, a little Melanoidin and acid malt. Citra for both bittering and late boil. Chilled to 56, pitched 2 packets rehydrated W-34/70.

I tried the new Apera PH60 meter. Mash pH was 5.40 at room temp. How did I live without one of these?

Brewing another tomorrow, Kellerbier with Triple Perle and Zappa hops.

Lagerpalooza.

20240110_144211.jpg

Today’s beer introduces some sanity to the IPA ABV arms race brewing in California. At 7% ABV this delicious LUSH IPA is from Fremont Brewing, Seattle, Washington, my old stomping grounds.

The can says “A lush tropical treat from the Pacific Northwest” – and I agree completely! I really wish a lot of IPA producers would back off the ABV push and work on the FLAVOR – something this Fremont Lush IPA has by the bucketful! THIS is an IPA I’d buy a 4 or 6-pack!

This is a much more delicious and drinkable beer than many of the 9-10% heavies I’ve been drinking this month. They figured it out! Not much head, great lacing, just what I’ve wanted for my January IPA-Fest. Cheers!

IMG_6543.jpeg
IMG_6544.jpeg

The trip from Seattle back to California lands us in beautiful Placer County, California. Knee Deep Brewing Company out of Auburn, California brings us into California gold country with this TRIPLE IPA, 11.25%, yes 11.25%, 131 IBU monster of a brew SIMTRA Triple India Pale Ale. It is liquid Gold!

What the heck does an 11.25% ABV IPA taste like? Strong. STRONG! I’m sure some of you hop heads out there will appreciate the 131 IBU’s – I read somewhere we can’t really discern much difference above 100 IBU. I’m picking up some Simcoe here, maybe the 4 C’s. This is a pretty traditional IPA, just made very, Very, VERY strong. So much so I’ve decided to water it down with my Coors Light “Mixer” which I use on occasions like this.

I really do prefer the 6%-7% brews which I can chug. This one is a strong 11.25% ABV sipper, who wants to sip? Eck. CHUG!!!

IMG_6552.jpeg
IMG_6559.jpeg

$1/glass in the bargain bin for the Spencer glass? Yes sir! Collector's item.

OT: Treehouse ESB oak
PXL_20240112_005253853.jpg

Edit: checked on the date usually printed on the bottom of the can. There's also usually a little saying. This seems to have improved since I first had it. Checked the bottom of the can. No saying. Just "Winter 2024". That hurt :)

Last edited:
Out and about with friends today and ended up at Firestone Walker's Barrelworks tasting room and restaurant.

L. 26th Anniversary BBA Ale, 11% (2022).
R. Dark Ray, a barrel aged American Strong Ale, 11.6% (2021).
IMG_3662.jpg

Then a larger pour of their 2023 Paraboloid, a 13% RIS aged in 14-year Old Fitzgerald bourbon barrels and 18-year Sazerac rye whiskey barrels.
IMG_3663.jpg

Back