What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last night, Dale’s Pale Ale
ABCE6140-78CE-4592-910C-9C40DE7DE7C3.jpeg

Now, HB Amber Ale that hasn’t cleared even after 3 months in the keg. Tastes good, just not the most attractive beer I’ve ever made.
C87937A2-972A-4012-AB34-223008A3D879.jpeg

Jülbock- this year's Christmas HB, a doppelbock inhabiting the lighter end of the spectrum in both colour and richness.

PXL-20231228-215510523-PORTRAIT-ORIGINAL.jpg

Word of advice- don't brew an 8% Bock in mid November and expect it to be ready for Christmas. 'cos it will probably be a boozy mess.

As of today this has just lost the alcohol bite and become very enjoyable but I'm sure it'll be even better in March.

I live in the middle of bourbon country. You’d think prices would be cheaper. There are a few only sold here. My all time favorite was Henry McKenna 10. Used to buy it for $38, now is $125. I haven’t seen Blanton's either. Weller is here for a second mortgage. I’ll keep buying Wild Turkey 101 for $35.
Yeah I remember buying Henry Mckenna 10 here for $40. I buy Wild Turkey but I buy the 86. Thats a staple on my bar.

Eagle Rare is the other one thats been next to impossible to find. Thats another one they put behind the counter and you are only allowed to buy one. I got really lucky earlier this year and found a 1.75L bottle of Very Old Barton here. I understand that doesn’t show up much outside of Kentucky.

Pappy and some others they only get a few bottles for the state and they do a lottery. You have to enter your name in a drawing with everybody else in PA who wants to buy one and you literally have to win a lottery for the right to buy one. 2 years ago we won the right to buy one bottle of the Old Rip 10 year (not even real Pappy) for $125. I bought it, have that one put away maybe to celebrate when I retire or something.

Last edited:
It's interesting here in Mass now that we've literally repealed laws from the 1600's and the puritans. Pappy is so famous you can only get by lottery but most bottles under $100:are almost easy to find. Sometimes you'll have one bottle limits but it's often you'll find a box of Willett or Blanton's sitting on the floor. My fav place has a famous whiskey guru and he warns he watches for reselling. Plus he gets good access.

The interesting alternative is just a little bit north of me to NH of live free or die. Liquor is run by the state. It's probably 10% more expensive but no limits. I was looking at some Buffalo Trace which was more expensive but a whole shelf of it. I was thinking of getting a bottle when someone swarms in and takes in taking about 20 bottles and asking if there was more out back. Wanted to kick him in the egg roll. He said it was for his restaurant but obvious what was going on. In my mind I was thinking is it worth all that effort to horde or profit.

It's interesting here in Mass now that we've literally repealed laws from the 1600's and the puritans. Pappy is so famous you can only get by lottery but most bottles under $100:are almost easy to find. Sometimes you'll have one bottle limits but it's often you'll find a box of Willett or Blanton's sitting on the floor. My fav place has a famous whiskey guru and he warns he watches for reselling. Plus he gets good access.

The interesting alternative is just a little bit north of me to NH of live free or die. Liquor is run by the state. It's probably 10% more expensive but no limits. I was looking at some Buffalo Trace which was more expensive but a whole shelf of it. I was thinking of getting a bottle when someone swarms in and takes in taking about 20 bottles and asking if there was more out back. Wanted to kick him in the egg roll. He said it was for his restaurant but obvious what was going on. In my mind I was thinking is it worth all that effort to horde or profit.
I guess thats why our stores are putting those names behind the counter and limiting sales to 1 per person.

We have Total Wine stores in DE and NJ that aren’t ridiculously far from us, like 40 min (there are no Total Wine stores in PA) but even Total Wine doesn’t have any of these names the PA liquor stores don’t have.

I guess thats why our stores are putting those names behind the counter and limiting sales to 1 per person.

We have Total Wine stores in DE and NJ that aren’t ridiculously far from us, like 40 min (there are no Total Wine stores in PA) but even Total Wine doesn’t have any of these names the PA liquor stores don’t have.
Sometimes this guy does his own barrels. Pretty sure I got the Blanton's vodka combo for $59.

This guru is evil. I try not to make eye contact with him but he's turned me on to some good whiskey
Screenshot_20231228-215910.png

I'm enjoying all your beers (and port, etc.) vicariously. Keep it up! :thumbsup: I'm drinking coffee right now. I haven't had any alcohol in almost 3 weeks, trying to get healthy and fit after turning into a fat blob during the Covid lockdowns and not doing anything about it afterwards. No point in waiting for "Dry January" just because it's trendy. I figured dropping 1000 calories a day just in alcohol (yes I was drinking that much) would go a long way and give my liver a rest. Between that, eating more protein and less carbs, very few holiday treats, and going to the gym 4 times a week... I haven't lost any weight at all yet, but I'm starting to feel better just the same. I'd like to think I haven't lost any weight because I'm gaining so much muscle, but I that's probably just a tiny part of it; muscle doesn't grow that fast, especially when you are old like me, unless you're on 'roids. I think really I'm retaining water from just general inflammation because my body is pissed at me for making too many healthy changes at once, LOL. It'll pass soon enough, no pun intended.

Trying to figure out what I'm going to drink on New Year's Eve. Probably whatever the strongest beer I have in stock (SN Celebration?), but just have one of 'em. When I figure that out tomorrow I'll post it here. Cheers. :)

Edit: Y'all are embarrassing me with so many likes. 🤣 And I'll be having a can of Schell's Snowstorm tomorrow night. (it's a dark rye ale, I think it's 6.3%) It's not the strongest beer I have but it's close, and a good chewy one I can take a big drink when I pour it and then sip the rest for a while. I just put one in the fridge.

Last edited:
HB Mosaic Blonde after blowing the leaves off the patio. It’s lucky when you live in the west and it’s 50°F on December 30.
DD101BF3-0451-4235-89C7-1D329D9E7276.jpeg

Tomorrow I’m going to move my brew rig from the garage to the patio and brew a Cali Common, outdoors, on New Year’s Eve. Our garage is on the SW side of the house which is the direction that the sun sets this time of year; the garage doesn’t warm up much, even on nice days. The back of the house is in full sun from around 9AM until around 4PM.

Keep it up! :thumbsup: I'm drinking coffee right now. I haven't had any alcohol in almost 3 weeks, trying to get healthy and fit after turning into a fat blob during the Covid lockdowns and not doing anything about it afterwards.

Let's race to loosing 40lbs! I've lost 7 in the last week. However buddy took me to Pinthouse yesterday so gained a couple back. Anyone else watching the Arizona Bowl? The "12yr old boys" bowl announcers crack me up. Sad thing is, it's the best game of the day so far.

PhP Haze Maker IPA, fruity

Screenshot_20231230-172317.png

Last edited:
Back