What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last of a mixed sixer from brewery Van Steenberge. Liked them all. At 5.5 this was the only session beer in the bunch.
20231215_190906.jpg

Decemberfest day 16 brings us a fantastic Klosterbräu Bamberger Rauchbier or “Smoke Beer” by Klosterbräu Bamberg GmbH, Bamberg, Germany. Harkening back to Medieval days – when Barley malt was directly dried by open fires, giving beers a dark color and smoky essence. Can you imagine a time when most all beers had that distinctive smoke flavor? It wasn’t until years later that air dried malts gave us the ability to make lighter brews without the smokiness.

At 5.3%, this is a great tasting Rauchbier. I see that their Rauchbier competitor Aecht Schlenkerla is in the same town of Bamberg. There must be a lot of smoke beer talent in the area me thinks. Weyermann based there too? Awesome! My kind of town!

Totally traditional, you really need to drink a Rauchbier every few months, just to re-visit the center of the Beer Universe, Rauchbiers! It is our history! Prost!

IMG_6232.jpeg

I think we all have that stein, don’t we?
Back when i had a real job making real money I "met" an Army sergeant based in Germany on ebay. I bought a couple dozen of these for $3 or $4 each. In the warm months the lids are critical for enjoying your beverages with sharing with moths and flies.

German Bier Chug #17 comes to us from Kalea GmbH, Freilassing, Germany, their rendition of a black beer. I say black beer for starters as this beer’s title, Schwarze Tinte Collab Stout is a mix of German and English beer jargon I’m trying to untangle. This translates roughly to Black Ink Collab Stout, whatever Collab is (Germans, help me here). Stouts belong over in England, Schwarzbiers generally in Germany for the most part, leading to more confusion.

Well with Schwarze and Stout both in the name, plus a black ink pen and dripping black ink, it should be dark, right? Color actually is lighter than you might think, with Orange color highlights showing through. Taste is really clean, sort of like a Dunkel going on Schwarzbier. Not a stout though, it lacks the complexity and esters of most stouts I’ve had.

At 6.2% ABV, who the heck cares. This is a tasty brew, not much head or lacing, but it gets the job done in style. Prost?... or Cheers!.... Whatever…….

IMG_6291.jpeg
IMG_6292.jpeg

Last edited:
Back