What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_2905.jpeg

Andromeda is out right now like straight up. Orion comes out later. That's so good to hear! Warms my heart!

Pretty good..
View attachment 834434
Yeah we saw Orion this past February, andromeda is our next goal, seeing hasn't been great the past couple weeks but hoping to get another good night to take a drive rona slightly darker sky.

Cheers

Tried the first bottle of my HB pub ale. Maris Otter and a little UK dark crystal, EKG, pitched S-04. 4.2% ABV.

Conditioned just under 2 weeks, but I wanted to see if it would be ready for serving guests at T-giving.

A little young, but not bad. Carbonation good, nice malty flavor with just the right hop bitterness. The flavor improved as it warmed in the glass to its proper serving temp. A little hazy, but don't care.

I'll throw a dozen bottles in the fridge for T-giving, and let the rest condition a little longer.

View attachment 834388
Not Pub Ale, it’s Best Bitter. Don’t serve it too cold it’ll get lose it’s flavour.

I play it straight with all you beer drinkers out there nearly every night. I also try to give you my best evaluation of my drinking tastes, habits and preferences. I thought to be fair, I’d give Sour Monkey one more try, maybe that last one was a victim of poor transport or something.

Well the results are all in. Second purchase. Must be continued poor transport or mishandling. I can’t deal with this, I just can’t deal with it! Some beers are Dubbels some are Tripels. This one gives me shivers. It’s a TRIPLE DUMPER!!!! Good Riddance!

IMG_5873.jpeg
IMG_5874.jpeg

Well, the last three sour beer cans I tossed were destined for this very mug. Instead, here’s what I was saving for tomorrow night, looks like I’ll have to move it up and drink it tonight. Yay!

Karl Strauss is yet ANOTHER San Diego brewer and really one of the best in the area. Their Oktoberfest this year was just plain fantastic, they always have great beers in the offerings. I enjoy eating at the Karl Strauss brewery restaurants in the area too, I had some Artsy-Fartsy fish tacos and things there to die for. Really a good horizontally integrated company! Their Red Trolley Pale Ale is a scrumptious and traditional Irish Red Ale, 5.8% ABV, not much head and zero lacing.

Thought I’d dust off one of my other mugs for tonight’s brew photo. Not exactly a Paulaner-perfect, regulation Oktoberfest MaßKrug, but a nifty looking one nevertheless. Really shows off the beautiful Red Trolley beer colors well, I enjoy red beers quite a bit. That is as long as I’m not bleeding into my Pilsner, my weekends can get pretty intense. I installed a new dishwasher last weekend, looked like I was on the losing side of a switchblade fight, boy that metal is sharp. “Nuther story…!”

This is a terrific beer. I even brewed a beer based on this myself and soured it. Long story, Karl Strauss used to have this great “Soured” Red Trolley at their local restaurant for beer drinking Tart Heads, and I was game. They had soured it in actual Cabernet Sauvignon Oak wood barrels. What a fantastic beer! Unlike the sours I tasted 30 minutes ago, THIS was a sour you wrote home to Mom about. Love it! Anyway, tried my hand at it. Not as good naturally as theirs. We amateurs are always reaching for the stars, but these fellas at Karl Strauss are the pros, no doubt about it. You will dig this beer. Cheers!

IMG_5879.jpeg

I play it straight with all you beer drinkers out there nearly every night. I also try to give you my best evaluation of my drinking tastes, habits and preferences. I thought to be fair, I’d give Sour Monkey one more try, maybe that last one was a victim of poor transport or something.

Well the results are all in. Second purchase. Must be continued poor transport or mishandling. I can’t deal with this, I just can’t deal with it! Some beers are Dubbels some are Tripels. This one gives me shivers. It’s a TRIPLE DUMPER!!!! Good Riddance!

View attachment 834500View attachment 834502
I love sour beers, but I am totally on board with this. A can of this and a sponge and some elbow grease will make that stainless shine!

Getting ready for the tgiving onslaught. Seriously, not really an onslaught. Just 7 of us, total. MIL here, and my brother & wife driving up from Milwaukee today. Nephew & wife live in town and they're coming over tomorrow.

Have a 16lb bird thawing in the fridge. Spent the morning baking bread--a boule of crusty white bread, one caraway pumpernickel. Yeah, I had to sample each, for quality control.

Made a quick batch of sloppy joes for dinner tonight. Browned ground beef, half and half ketchup and Ken Davis BBQ sauce. A dash of salt and onion powder. Keeping it simple.

1000016684.jpg

Starting happy hour early. A glass of the new HB best bitter. Not the right glassware, but want to gather the aroma. These go down way too easily. By the time I finish this post, I'll be pouring another. :D

1000016683.jpg

Happy Thanksgiving, everybody!!!

Still rummaging through San Diego brews, today’s chugger is Societe Brewing and their Surefire Bullseye West Coast IPA. We tried their yummy Oktoberfest last month, this time a tasty IPA from Society.

Before getting into the beer, I have to say, Society gets the First Place Award for the worst can graphics. Looks like a 5-student, 7th grade class project with a grade of C-. Why put such a great beer in such an amateurish can? Hello? …. Marketing??? Maybe it was an employee design for a free hamburger and fries, dunno. Take this stuff serious folks, it has your name on it.

Getting back the beer, we have here a fantastic West Coaster, I’m picking up my favorite IPA citrus and pine flavors, the head is impressive and the lacing is absolutely incredible., At 7.1% ABV, medium carbonation, I’m picking up a gentle warming from the alcohol, this is a great IPA! Lose the can.

IMG_5895.jpeg
IMG_5896.jpeg

Stopped by Amorys Tomb for their V anniversary bier garden. Cask was too angry to wait until tapped. Nice raw New England evening

PXL_20231122_212525380.jpg

Random Name Generator
Bière de Miel • 7% Alc./Vol.
A 100% New England grown farmhouse ale made exclusively with Flaked Emmer from Thrall Family Malts in Windsor, CT, Yankee Pils from Blue Ox Malthouse in Lisbon Falls, ME, Mt. Rainier hops from Four-Star Farms in Northfield, MA and Honey from Merrimack Valley Wildflower Honey.

Design Symmetry - Barrel-Aged Farmhouse Ale Our special fifth anniversary release. Classic saison aged 21 months in Red Wine barrels with heirloom cider apples from Doe Orchards (Harvard, MA) refermented on Maplewood Smoked Peaches. Conditioned with a Brown Sugar Simple

PXL_20231122_213933410.jpg

Last edited:
Back