What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alright all you Oktoberfest beer drinkers, I saved a couple of the best for last – a head to head between HofBrau Oktoberfestbier, a delicious lager designed around current Festbier standards and Weihenstephaner Festbier, a similar brew. Hofbrauhaus has been making beer since 1589, while Weihenstephaner is the Words Oldest Brewery - written records since 1040, impressive. Geee, I can’t even find my phone half the time, amazing what is still in human records.

These two breweries are absolute masters, in fact in the case of Weihenstephaner, I can attest to never having drank one of their beers which was not spot-on perfection. I personally think Weihenstephaner is the most reliably perfect brewer in the world as well as the oldest. HB is probably the best known internationally due to the Hofbrauhaus. We had some fun at their Las Vegas Hofbrauhaus recently – the on-tap Dunkel straight from Germany is to die for, isn’t that right kids? My kids drink beer with Dad…. Prost!

So anyway, how do you rate perfection? All I can say is that these two breweries spend time producing the finest Festbiers in the world, and these two are some of the best. They did Paulaner’s format well, these renditions are fantastic. HB comes in at a malty but extremely drinkable 6.3% ABV, Weihenstephaner the same at 5.8%, both have excellent head, good lacing, a fresh German lager taste beyond compare and conform to the 1516 Reinheitsgebot, German Beer Purity Law.

Constrained hopping, malty and balanced, these two are perfection. Designed for chugging by the Maßkrug full at celebrations around the world, this closes out my Festbier and Oktoberfest journey for this year. Hope you have enjoyed reading them as much as I have drinking them! OK, one final time ... Zicke Zacke, Zicke Zacke, Hoi, Hoi, Hoi .... PROST!

IMG_5706.jpeg

I had to go get baby back ribs and BBQ chicken to find another delicious Alesmith brew tonight - this one is Alesmith Nut Brown Ale on tap, 2 pints tonight.

This is a great, highly drinkable draft ale, delicious and sort of like the Shiner Bock I drank a couple weeks ago or the 1970’s Pizza beers of prior years. Really a good beer, go find some BBQ and go wild. Hand me some wipes…. Cheers!

View attachment 832678
You're eating ribs and slaw with chopsticks?! Is that a SoCal thing?😉🍻

Samples of the PB and French Toast Imperial Stouts. A bit more bitter then I wanted. I didn't initially plan on doing another brew after the Porter using S-04. I really should've used S-05 to get a pure flavored brew. S-04 muddles it a bit.

So I'll stop here and forgo the Hunahpu. After another IPA attempt plan on starting the Trappist Belgian thread next week.

PXL_20231030_012054362.PORTRAIT.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone remember Black Label?
Carling Black Label, I remember that one alright. Not fondly, but definitely remember it.

Probably wasn't the beer's fault, I drank it warm on a hot summer's morning while stranded on an island in the Mississippi after a wild overnite party. The only other liquid around was straight from the river, not sure that wouldn't have been any worse! Anyways, that was my first and last taste of that beer. :)

@MaxStout

I remember one grandpa bringing over to my other grandpa this to try. It was cheeper and "not bad" were the only comments I remember them making. Every beer you mentioned I remember as being a kid..thank goodness we have more options!

View attachment 832763

I remember the generic "beer,' circa 1980. If you brought it to a BYOB party there was no worry about anyone swiping it.

There was a run of generic grocery products, too. Mostly canned and boxed stuff, with the black and white packaging and a barcode. Broke-ass Max bought a few of those back then. A box of pasta, can of sauce, some sliced hot dogs and woo hoo! Two dollar dinner!

The generics quickly died out when they started making store brands, which were probably the same products inside.

@MaxStout

I remember one grandpa bringing over to my other grandpa this to try. It was cheeper and "not bad" were the only comments I remember them making. Every beer you mentioned I remember as being a kid..thank goodness we have more options!

View attachment 832763
Reminds me of A&P brand Tudor beer, and this story. Right around the time I turned legal age for buying alcohol, and with very little money to spend, I walked into an A&P, (are there any left?), to find some cheap beer. Looking through the limited beer shelf I almost reached for a sixer of Genesee at around $1 or $1.25 when I saw A&P's "house swill" for 79¢ for six beers. Ding!! Trouble is that it tasted like about what you'd expect from a 13¢ beer.

s-l1600.jpg

A HB Grodziskie on a sunny mid-Oct day. Gotta watch it like a hawk to keep the yellowjackets from sneaking a sip.

View attachment 831626
These come in handy for those afternoon bier sessions in the back yard... about $5 from GermanSteins.com.
1698702070712.jpeg

Molasses vs. sugar primed gingerbread brown ale test. Definitely get a faint molasses aroma. No molasses taste but an unusual aftertaste that's hard to describe but not pleasant. Sugar it is.
View attachment 832810

I find molassas leaves a licorice flavor when used in the kettle. Maybe you are getting a hint of this from the priming?

Molasses vs. sugar primed gingerbread brown ale test. Definitely get a faint molasses aroma. No molasses taste but an unusual aftertaste that's hard to describe but not pleasant. Sugar it is.
View attachment 832810

Give it some time to age, maybe it will mellow out. I've heard some say that molasses can add a metallic or mineral taste. Time will tell--don't give up on it.

HB Munich Dunkel
I haven’t had any beer for a while because of the stupid prescription pain medication they prescribed me for my shoulder. Met with orthopedic doctor last week and he’s recommending surgery for a torn rotator cuff as well as my collarbone being separated from my shoulder blade. Now I have to wait to schedule surgery until work comp approves it.
IMG_1477.jpeg

Back