What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A homebrew Obsession IPA

Attachments

• 16950663798285299205964346116411.jpg
    16950663798285299205964346116411.jpg
    977.8 KB · Views: 0
I’ll never forget my first home made and home brewed beverages. Success was that it’s drinkable and yes nothing like the satisfaction of having made it. You’re absolutely right, about that satisfaction. This batch had its issues which started before I even pitched the yeast. So this one being better than drinkable feels like I should rename it to “On a Wing and a Prayer“. It’s going to be poured at a wildlife rehab fund raiser. An ale for the masses, but definitely has more flavor than an American lager. Before the pandemic an older woman approached the club, said our beers were the best and all the others she had tasted like panther piss. I wasn’t sure that I had heard that right. Indeed she repeated that.
My dad would be so proud!

LMAO, thanks for making my day!

Squandered the weekend doing my 4th 48hr urine test, so that means no beer for 72hrs. Turned in the jugs this morning so it's time for some beers.

Decided to pour my brown porter into a pils glass for some glamour shots. Every once in a while you get one right.
E1E2BA42-8AE1-4B7B-9608-D166A67BB932.jpeg

Then decided to share my shame with you. This is a Munich malt-heavy helles that I kegged two weeks ago and it refuses to clear. I've been having problems with the floating dip tube on this keg, I caught it sinking in the sanitizer bucket, took a stainless steel washer off of it, and used it anyway. It's obviously sunk again. Really pissed off about this one. There's a decent beer hiding behind all that yeast. But I'm a cheap bastard and figured one more batch would be fine.
7038D890-07F3-495F-8D47-186054C6E3A4.jpeg

A sweaty Ballantine IPA clone - it's hella humid here...

View attachment 829553

Cheers!
Yup! Took me several attempts and a microfiber rag to get my pics today.

Mind sharing your clone? I've never actually brewed one, I'm far too young to have tasted one, but I really enjoy bench racing everyone's assumptions. As a brewer, I really enjoy (and learn from) seeing how other brewers tackle a problem.

[...]
Mind sharing your clone? I've never actually brewed one, I'm far too young to have tasted one, but I really enjoy bench racing everyone's assumptions. As a brewer, I really enjoy (and learn from) seeing how other brewers tackle a problem.

Soitenly!
This was my 4th go at it, and - going by an embryonic memory it's the closest yet....

1695077594437.png

Cheers!

HB Bavarian Pilsner version #6. A simple beer for sure, it’s easy to see why Pilsners became so popular.

Weyermann Pilsner malt, Hallertau Mittlefruh & Tettnanger hops. 1.050 OG, 40 IBU’s 4.9% ABV, WLP 833 Bock Yeast. I snuck 4 oz of wheat into the grist for lacing and head retention. So it isn’t 1516 Reinheitsgebot compliant I suppose, but close, and pretty tasty!

My label originated from a photo taken at the Big Bear Oktoberfest a few years ago. It’s almost time again to pack it up and head North into the Big Bear hinterlands for more German lager in the pristine mountain air. I nearly froze out in the parking lot last time waiting for the trolley, heck not sure I even remember most of it. Each blink the clock ticked 5 minutes, what a night. Good time!

IMG_5259.jpeg

This is my contribution to 12 Beers of Christmas 2022. It got good reviews from some of the participants and people I know, so I entered it into the National Comp where it got railed by one judge as the worst thing he’s ever tasted. My wife who hates stouts thought it was good, at least before I told her I made it, lol. Maybe it was in one of those “sketchy” months that beers go through, IDK. Age does good things to big beers.
466B5006-0291-40F4-9D65-607B4A475ED9.jpeg

Soitenly!
This was my 4th go at it, and - going by an embryonic memory it's the closest yet....

View attachment 829557

Cheers!
Thank you!

That's a solid ale.

I really like recipes that I can taste on my mind's tongue. Yours is certainly one of them. No funny business there, it's all easy to taste.

That's good stuff.

This is my contribution to 12 Beers of Christmas 2022. It got good reviews from some of the participants and people I know, so I entered it into the National Comp where it got railed by one judge as the worst thing he’s ever tasted. My wife who hates stouts thought it was good, at least before I told her I made it, lol. Maybe it was in one of those “sketchy” months that beers go through, IDK. Age does good things to big beers.View attachment 829572
That isn't peak homebrew, that is maximum homebrew!

Everyone loved it, except Gordon Strong and your wife...but only once she learned that you made it. That made me howl with laughter.

It doesn't get more homebrew than that.

The people whose admiration matters to you may think you suck, but I think you're alright.

Keep hitting your strike temp, brother, because we're all in this together.

Thank you!
That's a solid ale.
I really like recipes that I can taste on my mind's tongue. Yours is certainly one of them. No funny business there, it's all easy to taste.
That's good stuff.

Thank you for the kind words, they're appreciated :mug:

fwiw, my earlier attempts were shy on the corn - it's an adjunct I rarely use, best as I recall I've only used it for the Cream Of Three Crops "lawn mower" recipe, so I don't have much "feel" for it. Also, obtaining the hop strains used in the purported classic recipe took a few goes to finally get together - I was substituting 2 of the 3 strains until this 4th try when I finally laid hands on the Cluster and Brewer's Gold.

Cheers!

fwiw, my earlier attempts were shy on the corn - it's an adjunct I rarely use, best as I recall I've only used it for the Cream Of Three Crops "lawn mower" recipe, so I don't have much "feel" for it. Also, obtaining the hop strains used in the purported classic recipe took a few goes to finally get together - I was substituting 2 of the 3 strains until this 4th try when I finally laid hands on the Cluster and Brewer's Gold.

Cheers!
Yeah, I feel you! There's *no* substituting for Clusters. It's so distinct and so wonderful. Brewer's Gold is much the same, but Clusters...there is no substitute.

Thanks for taking the time, I really appreciate it!

Cheers!
If I may offer some advice regarding corn, after three years of the Panther Piss adjunct lager project, I really, really understand why the German brewers that set up camp in the Mississippi Valley leaned so heavily on it, and why UK brewers eagerly adopted it.

It really does improve a beer, far better than wheat, insofar as it actually adds something to the beer. It's subtle, but it's there at 10% of the grist--try finding, much less telling apart, flaked, malted and torrified wheat at a similar percentage. I will argue to my last breath that corn is the ideal helper in any grist.

We need to stop thinking about it as an adjunct. It's not, it adds something positive to our beers.

If I may offer some advice regarding corn, after three years of the Panther Piss adjunct lager project, I really, really understand why the German brewers that set up camp in the Mississippi Valley leaned so heavily on it, and why UK brewers eagerly adopted it.

It really does improve a beer, far better than wheat, insofar as it actually adds something to the beer. It's subtle, but it's there at 10% of the grist--try finding, much less telling apart, flaked, malted and torrified wheat at a similar percentage. I will argue to my last breath that corn is the ideal helper in any grist.

We need to stop thinking about it as an adjunct. It's not, it adds something positive to our beers.
Funny that you should give that last sentence about corn. From my club‘s competition we had some donated ingredients To raffle and share, today I packaged flaked corn to give away to our members, there was a fair amount left and I started to um, encourage people to take more, saying make a Kentucky common, American lager or cream al, and someone said they use some in nearly every beer they make… Learn something new every day they say, and you’ve given it validation with synchronicity.
I’m not drinking a darn thing right now.

Last edited:
That isn't peak homebrew, that is maximum homebrew!

Everyone loved it, except Gordon Strong and your wife...but only once she learned that you made it. That made me howl with laughter.

It doesn't get more homebrew than that.

The people whose admiration matters to you may think you suck, but I think you're alright.

Keep hitting your strike temp, brother, because we're all in this together.
Thank you! I'm slowly working my way through the 12BOC brews and enjoying them mightily as the days get chilly again!

Wow – Monk’s Café – First chug is full of deliciousness, that’s how I’d describe this exquisite Flemish Sour Ale provided to We Mere Mortals from the Beer Gods at Van Steenberge in Belgium.

Made in the land of fruity breakfasts, candies and deserts comes this equally fruity and fantastic sour ale. I’m picking up a cornucopia of fruity flavors, cherry, berries, dark fruit, plums and raisins. A nuanced bottle of goodness, make sure this is on your shopping list next beer run at Bevmo.

5.5% ABV, moderate carbonation, nicely sour, don’t look at the bottom of the bottle after pouring, Woof.

This sour even has excellent lacing. This would be an excellent beer to make an ice cream beer float. If only Van Steenberge would produce this in Man-Size 16.9 - 22 oz bottles, these dinky and anemic 11.2 ouncers are for wimps. Hey, why not 8 ounce? Geez, 11.2 ounces of beer, how generous. 3 gulps - get serious!!! Great beer!

IMG_5274.jpeg
IMG_5275.jpeg

Wow – Monk’s Café – First chug is full of deliciousness, that’s how I’d describe this exquisite Flemish Sour Ale provided to We Mere Mortals from the Beer Gods at Van Steenberge in Belgium.

Made in the land of fruity breakfasts, candies and deserts comes this equally fruity and fantastic sour ale. I’m picking up a cornucopia of fruity flavors, cherry, berries, dark fruit, plums and raisins. A nuanced bottle of goodness, make sure this is on your shopping list next beer run at Bevmo.

5.5% ABV, moderate carbonation, nicely sour, don’t look at the bottom of the bottle after pouring, Woof.

This sour even has excellent lacing. This would be an excellent beer to make an ice cream beer float. If only Van Steenberge would produce this in Man-Size 16.9 - 22 oz bottles, these dinky and anemic 11.2 ouncers are for wimps. Hey, why not 8 ounce? Geez, 11.2 ounces of beer, how generous. 3 gulps - get serious!!! Great beer!

View attachment 829624View attachment 829625
Nice lacing. Should've got that beer ..😔 Mine tastes like someone's okay home brew attempt.

Back