What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hotel beer.

IMG_0927.jpeg

Unique room view.

IMG_0926.jpeg

View attachment 828522View attachment 828523
Meh, more expensive than Athletic and too sweet. I might just put a shot of my HM hop water in it.
edit- nope hop water doesn’t help much.

Of all the N/As I've tried, Guinness Zero and Penn's Best are the best, IMHO. Add a shot of vodka if need be. A lime in Penn's adds a nice touch. Also, they don't break the bank like the $12/6pk N/As out there.

Of all the N/As I've tried, Guinness Zero and Penn's Best are the best, IMHO. Add a shot of vodka if need be. A lime in Penn's adds a nice touch. Also, they don't break the bank like the $12/6pk N/As out there.
Guinness Zero doesn’t do it for me; honestly, I don’t think I’ve had a dark NA that I found palatable, even.

The best NA lager-ish thing I’ve had yet is Untitled Art’s American Gold. And for NAIPA, Athletic’s Run Wild.

When I want something that’s mostly ok and doesn’t have calories, Partake is the way to go. Except their Red, which is not mostly ok.

Back at the hotel, a real Northwest Favorite, “Vitamin R” Raaain-neeeerrr-beeeeeer….! That should perk up the ears of any Northwesties out there!

I think most Rainier is produced possibly at Irwindale or Milwaukee, as the old Georgetown facility is now an alt-art-hippie commune of some type. I can’t get near the place, but still in commercial use I believe.

At one point around the turn of the century (1900-or so, THAT century) Rainier was the biggest seller up and down the West Coast, the Seattle brewery cranking out tons of beer to satisfy much of the Northern California area, even up to Alaska. There were independent bottlers throughout the West, and with the new rail service, you could get brewery-fresh lager darn near anywhere.

This would be considered a typical and nondescript adjunct lager by today’s standards. Always good to slug down a pounder when I’m in the Northwest though, for old times sake. Hey wait a minute, these aren’t pounders- 24 ounce, these are A POUND AND A HALF!!! Love it!

View attachment 828393
Makes me sad Longmire had to end

Had a trad All-Day before this one. It helps when grading student essays.View attachment 828528
I know that pain. I did it with seventh graders and undergrads. No matter how hard I tried to screw my brain around to that very special place, it wasn't something that I could pull off. So frustrating.

All the respect in the world for those that have the patience to really do it.

Last edited:
Woke up at 4.00am, thinking I was an athletic beast, and drove out to the Shenandoah Valley to do a bit of marching on the Appalachian Trail. I've been bushing whacking through 35-40/miles per week of tight, technical, deer trails along the river bluffs of the Potomac at Ft. Washington, so I figured a 20 mile march on a nicely maintained trail would be a pleasant, far less itchy change of pace.

It wasn't. It sucks being 49. Everything hurts. It didn't used to be this way!!!!

On the plus side, the ground water is 88F in DC, so I enjoyed the mother of all showers and I have twenty gallons of pain relief on hand, so I can enjoy some full-sized beers tonight.

The current apple of my eye, a very adjunct corrupted UK bitter
D773A838-8E03-4CC4-8FD3-1B7426AA25F0.jpeg

..and Panther Piss Butt Wiper
F24C658E-A4F6-460D-BAD7-56249BC6C0B0.jpeg

Glad to see the Panther Piss series back on this thread! I’m just past 40 but feel you on the wth happened to my body. Lower Back is so messed up haven’t slept well in 3 months. Just spent so much beer money on a fancy mattress…

It wasn't. It sucks being 49. Everything hurts. It didn't used to be this way!!!!

On the plus side, the ground water is 88F in DC, so I enjoyed the mother of all showers and I have twenty gallons of pain relief on hand, so I can enjoy some full-sized beers tonight.

The current apple of my eye, a very adjunct corrupted UK bitter
View attachment 828583

..and Panther Piss Butt Wiper

Glad to see the Panther Piss series back on this thread! I’m just past 40 but feel you on the wth happened to my body. Lower Back is so messed up haven’t slept well in 3 months. Just spent so much beer money on a fancy mattress…
Thank you, sir!

I'm sorry about the bad back. I've spent the second half of my career leading individuals that need to do some heavy lifting. If you can, get with your boss. Being tough isn't going to solve the problem. Backs don't heal quickly! If your boss doesn't take it seriously, get a new boss!!!!

Lastly, I've been lucky with my back. But when I ran our Pandemic night shift, as a despicable morning person, I was a zombie on the night shift and got sloppy with my lifts and jacked up my back a couple of times. I decided to tough it out, because I'm stupid. Being a bit smarter with my lifts helped me to limp through the night shift, but it wasn't until I had to really dedicate myself to some serious PT because of this kidney stuff that my back really mended.

I was a physical wreck when I started this process, but just walking a mile a day on flat roads made a huge difference. Now that I'm doing much more aggressive stuff than that, it's other stuff that's hurting. But at least it's not my back!

And that makes all the difference in the world. Just being able to sleep, you know?

I hope the mattress works, but I can assure you that if you scarf down your lunch, then spend the second half of your lunch break simply walking, you'll see a big difference in a couple of weeks. If you don't get a lunch break, talk to your boss, let her know that your back is jacked up and you need 20mins that will soon be 15min and will soon be 10mins to get your stuff straight. If she doesn't get it, get a new one.

Last edited:
Ohhh man…I’m really enjoying this one the more I drink it. And it has been kinda hot/muggy lately so it is perfecto!!

Got some sign off that this is indeed good by some fellow beer snobs the other night as well. One is more of a tequila snob but he is definitely a lighter beer person that can’t handle a lot of hops. Got compliments on the taste/aroma and pleasant subtly dry finish.

IMG_8600.jpeg

Ohhh man…I’m really enjoying this one the more I drink it. And it has been kinda hot/muggy lately so it is perfecto!!

Got some sign off that this is indeed good by some fellow beer snobs the other night as well. One is more of a tequila snob but he is definitely a lighter beer person that can’t handle a lot of hops. Got compliments on the taste/aroma and pleasant subtly dry finish.

View attachment 828592
But what is it? ;)

Back