What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_2612.jpeg

New riff Balboa rye bourbon and a fuente short story. Also, a sample of my HB 8.8%
PXL_20230615_042703674.jpg
PXL_20230614_215806317.jpg
Thiolized hazy double IPA. I'm getting lots of dank over ripe tropical fruit on the aroma. Mango, passion fruit, oranges and lemons on the flavor. I used cosmic punch yeast cascade mash hops, phantasm powder, Citra, Mosaic lupomax, and Amarillo lupomax in the whirlpool.

HB Mosaic Blonde while putting together a recipe kit to take to the city house tomorrow.
View attachment 822519

A fellow mosaic admirer! A couple years ago I made a couple hoppy blondes. Nelson Sauvin was awesome, if you like that hop. I see that you brew several blondes. Mind sharing your recipe?

20230615_220013.jpg

I'm not sure where this bottle came from, it's a 2011 which means it was sold in 2012 or 2013, a weird/turbulent time for us. I grabbed it from the miscellaneous bin in the cave and opened it Tuesday. It wasn't good, had reached it's time limit so I decanted it and ignored it for 2 days. Tonight it was raining so I didn't feel like going to the cave, but we needed wine with the cheese, and my wife remembered the decanter. The wine was perfect with the Camembert and St. Maure goat cheese.

A fellow mosaic admirer! A couple years ago I made a couple hoppy blondes. Nelson Sauvin was awesome, if you like that hop. I see that you brew several blondes. Mind sharing your recipe?
This is the recipe for the batch I currently have on tap. This was 4.5 gal to the fermenter, 4.0 to the keg. The yeast was a second repitch of US-05 and I made an SNS starter with some DME and pitched the entire slurry from a previous batch. I didn’t consult a pitch calculator, just used it all, and it was probably a substantial overpitch. Finished at .002 and 5.0 ABV.
DC15D317-2D18-468A-976D-33999845997E.png

Today is my Friday. Which means my manager tried to give me a guilt trip about the $1b tool we use to pay for but now get their latest greatest for free. A hint to work on the weekend. How to say F U in the group weekly meeting without saying FU. I pretty much did on Wednesday with a lot of proof of his aholeism explained

Waiting for the Alchemist to chill. Glad I bought this yesterday
IMG_20230615_173608.jpg
IMG_20230615_173410.jpg

Last edited:
This is the recipe for the batch I currently have on tap. This was 4.5 gal to the fermenter, 4.0 to the keg. The yeast was a second repitch of US-05 and I made an SNS starter with some DME and pitched the entire slurry from a previous batch. I didn’t consult a pitch calculator, just used it all, and it was probably a substantial overpitch. Finished at .002 and 5.0 ABV.
View attachment 822524

Thanks!

Saison from Southern Prohibition. Not what I was expecting. Grapefruit aroma, some hop bitterness. Didn't get any funk or what I would associate with saison. Perhaps I don't understand the style or my palate isn't sophisticated enough. Not a bad beer at all but, as I said, not what was expected.
IMG_20230615_170541.jpg

Last edited:
My NEIPA is way to dry to enjoy alone. No clue what happened. In the 400+ brews, I've never made a beer that ended at 1.002, or even close. Anyway, mixing it with the WCIIPA gives a nice hoppy/citrus presence along a tad bit of sweetness and mouthfeel.

View attachment 822536

Just had something similar happen with a WCIPA. Decided to dump it rather than using 10 oz of good simcoe on a dry hop. I’m a kitchen brewer & assumed wild yeast snuck by me somehow 🤷

For me, hard to imagine cali ale could get that low. I normally step mash & set at 162F for 30. What yeast were you using?

Just had something similar happen with a WCIPA. Decided to dump it rather than using 10 oz of good simcoe on a dry hop. I’m a kitchen brewer & assumed wild yeast snuck by me somehow 🤷

For me, hard to imagine cali ale could get that low. I normally step mash & set at 162F for 30. What yeast were you using?
I went hunting and don't remember. I think it was a dry Easy Coast yeast. It wasn't wild yeast! 😉 I'm pretty careful with the post boil/cooling process but I guess we're all vulnerable then. It's really pretty good mixed the the WCIIPA.

Speaking of... counting down the days before heading back to day shift. 12 days. Time to feel normal again.

PXL_20230615_124333318.PORTRAIT~2.jpg

Today is my Friday. Which means my manager tried to give me a guilt trip about the $1b tool we use to pay for but now get their latest greatest for free. A hint to work on the weekend. How to say F U in the group weekly meeting without saying FU. I pretty much did on Wednesday with a lot of proof of his aholeism explained

Waiting for the Alchemist to chill. Glad I bought this yesterday
View attachment 822527View attachment 822528
One of the greatest feeling in life is knowing one can retire at any time but still working for extra vacation cash. I just give a "look of derision" when my boss tries to come down hard.

Trail mix inspired Shiner Trail Ale brewed with chocolate, nuts, dried fruit. I spotted this in the singles cart at Piggly Wiggly and decided to give it a try (without high expectations). I like it. Chocolate, slightly sweet, a little fruit, maybe a touch of peanut butter, kind of a medium body chocolate stout feel. I'd buy another one.
IMG_20230616_165537.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back