What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never posted about the Impey Barbicane Moonglow earlier, but move on to an Old Ale from @coyote68

Obviously has some age on it, but it hasn't gone cardboard or paper yet. More raisiny and sherry-like.

Good memory. Not as good as yours with the vaccine dude though!

What's your plan with that? I'm doing mine and trying to have one of everything I brew or drink in it and then make it my house culture.

Pretty much the same. My plan is to use WLP500, these sour dregs and a soon to be started Brett only dregs bottle all together, separately, or in different combinations for almost everything I brew from now on.

I seem to remember you and Wes having a jar that you just throw dregs in as you go. Was I imagining this? I thought about drilling a hole in the lid and adding an airlock then just silicone around it.

Yep, we are trend setters. I ended up with about 20 or so beers worth of dregs that I pitched between two 1gallon sours and a five.

Good memory. Not as good as yours with the vaccine dude though!

What's your plan with that? I'm doing mine and trying to have one of everything I brew or drink in it and then make it my house culture.

My plan is to use the dregs from bottles of my homebrewed sours to inocculate future brews thus eliminating the need for the bug farm. I used the dregs from a couple bottles of my sour quad in my golden sour brewed in January and I tasted it last night and its tasting great nice and tart in half the time it took to sour the quad.

How is that? Never heard of it, but sounds good.

More cleaning/disinfecting. Not feeling it but gotta do it. ****.

It's our white whale. Hard to find around here. Used to be amazing but now that so addicted to hops.. It's whatever. Consumers has it in spring variety pack.

Great Lakes: truth, justice and ale

Allergic to pics. Sorry.

My plan is to use the dregs from bottles of my homebrewed sours to inocculate future brews thus eliminating the need for the bug farm. I used the dregs from a couple bottles of my sour quad in my golden sour brewed in January and I tasted it last night and its tasting great nice and tart in half the time it took to sour the quad.

Nice that's what I'm hoping to get to.

Water.

Going to take something to get a good night's rest tonight.

Anyone have experience with buying a commerical grade Bounce House?

Dude, that sour quad was fantastic. I think i still have one. Fingers crossed. I'm gonna have to brew one someday

Nice that's what I'm hoping to get to.

I have read a bunch of anecdotal evidence about repitching of cultures being more active/aggressive and at 4 months my sour quad had little to no perceptible acidity at 4 months the golden sour using it's dreggs has a nice level of a acidity. I would actually like to halt the production of acid right where it is but not 100% sure how to do that.

Dude, that sour quad was fantastic. I think i still have one. Fingers crossed. I'm gonna have to brew one someday

It turned out way better than I had any right to expect given it was my first sour. I have a bunch of fermenters going using the dregs of that beer. I'm hoping to build up a nice pipeline because I hate paying the asking price of commercial sours.

I have read a bunch of anecdotal evidence about repitching of cultures being more active/aggressive and at 4 months my sour quad had little to no perceptible acidity at 4 months the golden sour using it's dreggs has a nice level of a acidity. I would actually like to halt the production of acid right where it is but not 100% sure how to do that.

I've read that a campden tablet will kill brett, not sure about lacto though. I would have no idea how you would carbonate if you kill everything. I'd imagine re yeasting, if the remaining campden wouldn't have an effect still.

I've read that a campden tablet will kill brett, not sure about lacto though. I would have no idea how you would carbonate if you kill everything. I'd imagine re yeasting, if the remaining campden wouldn't have an effect still.

I considered that but I would hate to lose the dregs. I could bottle a portion then use potassium metabisulfite/sorbate to kill the bugs and keg the rest.

It turned out way better than I had any right to expect given it was my first sour. I have a bunch of fermenters going using the dregs of that beer. I'm hoping to build up a nice pipeline because I hate paying the asking price of commercial sours.

The price tags definitely suck but there is the trade off of waiting and uncertainly. Yet another reason a pipeline is crucial!

The price tags definitely suck but there is the trade off of waiting and uncertainly. Yet another reason a pipeline is crucial!

Yeah sours are sure as hell time consuming to produce I can't imagine being a sour only brewery because you can't turn over the beer. I have 10 gallons of a Flanders Brown-ish going as well and I tasted it last night it isnt sour but I can tell once it sours it's going to be a good one. I brewed a saison a few weeks ago that is going to get the dregs from the rest of the dregs from the Crooked Stave bottles I got from mhurst111. I have high hopes for that one as well.

I considered that but I would hate to lose the dregs. I could bottle a portion then use potassium metabisulfite/sorbate to kill the bugs and keg the rest.

Let it go as is. Brew another (even without bugs) and then blend. Pasteurize in the bottle, and repitch from the cake. Better than using bottle dregs.

Drinkimg nothing. Yep.

Let it go as is. Brew another (even without bugs) and then blend. Pasteurize in the bottle, and repitch from the cake. Better than using bottle dregs.

Drinkimg nothing. Yep.

the exploding bottle horror stories has me a tad afraid to bottle pasteurize to be honest.

Back