What are you brewing 3/30-4/1?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uwmgdman

Reaction score
I've got this mashing now. It's not truely all American; from the Maris Otter and Irish Ale yeast but I'm not concerned about a style.

Style: American Nut Brown
Type: Partial mash
Size: 5.5 gallons
Color: 66 HCU (~26 SRM)
Bitterness: 39 IBUs (calculated for higher utilization b/c of late extract addition)
OG: 1.056 FG: 1.014
Alcohol: 5.5% v/v (4.3% w/w)

Grain: 3.5 lb. Maris Otter
.75 lb. American victory
1.0 lb. American crystal 60L
.50 lb. American chocolate

Boil: 60 mins
4 lb. Light dry malt extract (20 mins remaining)

Hops: 1 oz. Galena (13.1% AA, 60 min.)
1 oz. Willamette (4.6% AA, flameout.)

Yeast: Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale

My weekend began today. What are you brewing this weekend?

I am seriously tossing around the idea of brewing a Hefe this weekend....

but it is awesome gardening weather, and with 17 gallons in secondary and 6 in primary, plus my bottled stock I don't think I need to. Who knows though, I have one case of Franziskaner bottles. If I get another case I can pull it off. Ohh maybe I'll finally fold and buy some Straub 16 oz bottles, they'll hold the carbonation. I can use the beer for cooking or something.

I'm going to brew a slightly modified version of the Dead Guy clone floating around here. It seems like based on what Rougue says it should be a little darker and I think thier malt bill is a little more complex, so here's what I came up with. Its Dead Gal Ale (for my wife, the only beer she has found that she really likes):

Dead Gal Ale (Rogue Dead Guy Clone for Dana)

Selected Style and BJCP Guidelines
Bock-Maibock/Helles Bock

Min SG: 1.064 SG Max SG: 1.072 SG
Min IBU: 23 IBU Max IBU: 35 IBU
Min Color: 6.0 SRM Max Color: 11.0 SRM

Recipe Overview
Pre-Boil Wort Volume: 8.00 US gals Post-Boil Wort Volume: 5.50 US gals
Pre-Ferment Batch Volume: 5.50 US gals
Expected Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.047 SG Expected OG: 1.068 SG
Expected FG: 1.017 SG
Expected ABV: 6.8 % Expected ABW: 5.3 %
Expected IBU (using Rager): 37.6 IBU Expected Color: 10.7 SRM
Mash Efficiency: 75.0 % Approx Color:
Boil Duration: 90.0 mins
Fermentation Temperature: 64 degF

Fermentables
Ingredient Amount % When
US 2-Row Malt 10.00 lb 74.1 % In Mash/Steeped
German Munich Malt 2.00 lb 14.8 % In Mash/Steeped
Belgian Caramel Munich Malt 50 1.00 lb 7.4 % In Mash/Steeped
Belgian Aromatic Malt 0.50 lb 3.7 % In Mash/Steeped

Hops
Variety Alpha Amount Form When
German Perle 7.7 0.8 oz Pelletized Hops 60 Min From End
Czech Saaz 3.4 0.5 oz Pelletized Hops 60 Min From End
Czech Saaz 3.4 0.5 oz Pelletized Hops 5 Min From End
German Perle 7.7 0.2 oz Pelletized Hops 5 Min From End

Other Ingredients
Ingredient Amount When

Yeast
Danstar-Nottingham

Water Profile
Target Profile: No Water Profile Chosen
Mash pH: 5.3
pH Adjusted with: Unadjusted

Total Calcium (ppm): 38 Total Magnesium (ppm): 10
Total Sodium (ppm): 50 Total Sulfate (ppm): 75
Total Chloride(ppm): 90 Total Bicarbonate (ppm): 71

Mash Schedule
Mash Type: Full Mash
Schedule Name: Single Step Infusion (66C/151F)

Step Type Temperature Duration
Strike/Dough in at 165 degF 5
Rest at 151 degF 60

Recipe Notes
Mash at 150*F by single infusion for 60 min. - Heat 4.21 Gallons of water to 165*F, dough in to stabilize - Collect batch sparge to 8 gallons - Sparge 2, 3 gal. sparges

For the first time since my boy was born (2yrs) I'll be alone this weekend at home, so I'll be brewing the AAA recipe in my sig. Then I'm having a bunch of guys for a poker game...

clayof2day said:
Recipe Notes
Mash at 150*F by single infusion for 60 min. - Heat 4.21 Gallons of water to 165*F, dough in to stabilize - Collect batch sparge to 8 gallons - Sparge 2, 3 gal. sparges

:off:
On the Dead Guy, I just glanced at the recipe, and it looks good. Let me know how it turns out! One thing, though- I would probably mash higher on this one. One of the good things about this one is the maltiness, and you don't want it too dry. Mine finished at 1.018 or so and some of the comments I got on the swap is "It's drier than the original". I preferred it, but at 150 degrees, it might finish quite a bit lower and be a bit dry.

As far as brewing today, I'm in the middle of the mash of Brewpastor's 777 recipe Rye IPA. I don't have the right yeast (long story), so I have to use dry Nottingham, so it's not going to be his "authentic" recipe.

I too am scheming hardcore on doing a hefe or wit this weekend. I'm pretty much all out of my last hefe, and the cassis wit is dwindling too. Once the hot weather hits, I'm gonna be really jonesin for some wheat brew. I have ALOT to do this weekend. I have a free 42" sony flat-panel TV to go pick up at some point, and alot of gardening/outside stuff to do, but maybe I can wake up at 5am tomorrow and get it done by noon, leaving the rest of the day for everything else.

Hopefully Ill be able to brew my Bombshell Blonde on Sunday morning. The forcast call for sun all day with a high of 78. It should be a great session

No brewing. We're having a party for my son's 1st birthday. :) I have 10 gallons of amber ale that needs to get into bottles tonight.

I have 10 gallons of hefe tenetively planned for 4/7. And I will be step mashing thanks to the fine folks on this forum who have strongly recommended doing rests with wheat malt. :mug:

Racking 10 gallons of hobgoblin into the keg, and 10 gallons of scottish 70/- into secondary. Have 30 gallons in the chest and 15 in the kegerator still so I don't think I'll be brewing this weekend.

I am going to do a little work on an old Olympia keg that found it's way into my garage, I'm trying to turn it into a fermentor. Also thinking about a 3 gallon black currant mead.

This weekend is going to be a busy one.

I have to

* rack my Blue Moon clone to secondary
* rack my Vanilla Cinnamon Mead to secondary
* brew an Imperial India Pale Ale (my first)
* brew (?) my Apple Pie a la Mode Cyser
* brew (?) two different gallons of cider (spiced with apple pie spice)

The cyser and cider are going to be a little interesting.

I picked up two gallons of unfiltered, pasteurized apple juice (two types, plain apple juice and Gravenstein apple juice) and 10 pounds of honey.

To make the cider I am using 80 oz. of juice (two 1-gallon batches, one of each type of juice), 40 oz. (2.5 lbs) of orange blossom honey and the apple pie spices.

To make the cyser I am using 80 oz. of orange blossom honey, 20 oz. each of the two juices, apple pie spices and vanilla extract.

This is my first attempt at any cider and my first try at cyser.

Thursday:
Did my second Kolsch (AG) yesterday.
Racked my Dusseldorf Alt to the secondary.
Racked my Belgian Blonde to the keg for cold conditioning.
Polished off Belgian Wit and cleaned the keg.
Did a humongo starter for a double header Belgian Wit this weekend.

Saturday:
Belgian Wit

Sunday:
Another Belgian Wit (Hey, This Belgian Wit is that good. Boy, I need to step up to 10 gallon capacity...)

Busy weekend for us.

Bottling the IIPA.
Bottling the Irish Red.
Brewing a Bell's Best Brown clone from the BYO clone recipe issue.

The Bells brew (another AG) is to serve two purposes. We're planning a clone (hopefully) of New Holland's Dragon's Milk Ale, which will be a high gravity brew.

I've got a smack pack of Flying Dog Ale Yeast I picked up at the LHBS a few weeks back, so we're going to use it for the Nut Brown and then we'll drop the Dragon's Milk clone right on the yeast cake.

So we'll get a nice brown ale and have a good healthy cake for the DM clone.

We're still noodling the recipe on the DM clone... but it'll include some lactose more than likely, as well as bourbon soaked oak chips and vanilla beans.

All of that is planned for Sunday, mid-morning through the afternoon.

BierMuncher said:
Another Belgian Wit (Hey, This Belgian Wit is that good. Boy, I need to step up to 10 gallon capacity...)

I'm hoping to brew that one in the coming month or so :D

Im brewing a porter PM. My first PM in my mini MLT.

I made the recipe up on beer smith. Hopefully everything goes well, including the weather.

I'll be brewing Sat. morning

EDIT...maybe it wont be until Sunday....just realized I forgot to make my starter last nighe! DOH!!!

Hopefully I remember to do that when i get home today

Brewing a traditional english bitter saturday and showing my buddy how to do an all grain batch.
Kegging and bottling my dopplebock finally, and drinking my seven grain liquid bread ale 777 reject recipe, which is drinking quite nicely I must say.

Probably nothing this weekend. I got some gas work done in the brewery and I have to put everything back together. Finally got a heater installed in the main garage. Asked for it in November. Yesterday it broke 70F.

At least the water heater is out of the way and I have a tap in the brewery connected to the big LP tank. Time to setup the Hurricane!

I dont know what this will turn out to be...maybe a Red, maybe a English Bitter....but this is the recipe im thinking of, :

1.5 lbs 6-row
4 lbs British Pale (or Maris Otters if available)
4.5 lbs Munich
4.5 Lbs Vienna
0.5 Caravienna

single infusion mash....or try a decoction mash
1.75 oz kent goldings 90 mins
.5 oz kent goldings 60 mins
.5 perle 10 mins
.5 perle aroma

WLP004 Irish Ale Yeast

Please comment

Sounds like a busy brewing weekend for a lot of us. I got my American Nut Brown chilling away. I got much better effeciency with my new partial mash method (75% eff). I had to decide to make it 6.3%ABV or 5.2% ABV, I opted for 5.2% ABV and saved the 1 lb. bag of XLDME for my next batch or if I ever need to make a starter. This might have been one of the best smelling mashes yet.

I am heading to the store for the ingredients for a sessionable American Wheat.

I am thinking:

4# Pale 2 row
4# Wheat Malt
.5# Crystal 60

.75 oz Hallertauer 60 min
.5 oz Williamette at 20 min

WLP 320 american wheat strain

Should Go great with an unsqueezed slice of lemon on a hot day.

Need to bottle 311 DCA, and rack Kolsch to secondary. Need to go to the LHBS to pick up priming sugar and such, so we'll see if I'm in the shopping mood while I'm there. I have a Coffee Stout recipe I'm itching to try. Oh, and even though it's BMC commercial, Man Law: No fruit in beer!

Evan! said:
Lemon? For shame.

Its like nebraska football, your not from here so you just will be unable to grasp the concept. I hope it to be similiar to a Boulevard Wheat, which coencidentally they serve with a slice of lemon.

I brewed Cheesefood's Caramel Cream Ale last week and i'll be brewing a stock ale to pitch onto the yeast cake.
Basic brewing recipe:
3 3/4 lbs. Coopers Real Ale Kit
3 lbs. Amber DME
1 oz Cascade
and re-using the Wyeast German Ale 1007.

I'm kegging some Kolsch & Apfelwein. Hopefully I'll find time for a batch of Hefeweizen.

I just ordered 8 kegs from www.KegConnection.com and will head down and pick them up this weekend. It's tough to beat $19.73 per keg with new O-Rings and they are just down the Interstate to boot!

Richbrau IPA part 2! Hopefully I don't overcarb the **** outta this one!

Brewing Belgain Saison Kit and Sweet Mead (possibly Melomel)

Saison Kit
3.3lb Wheat LME
3.3lb Gold LME
1lb Clear Candi Sugar
8oz of Caramel 20
8oz Unmalted Wheat
1oz Saaz Hops (planning on 40-45 minutes)
1oz Kent Golding (30 minutes)
1oz Kent Golding (5 minutes)
1/4tsp Grains of PAradise
1oz Bitter Orange Peel (dried)
1/2oz corriander
White Labs Belgian Wit 400

Sweet Mead Kit
12 pounds Honey
Yeast Nutrient ~1tbsp
White Labs Sweet Mead 720
Fruit Extract just before bottling, flavor is still up in the air

Brewing my first Mini-Mash today when we get back from the brewshop

6 lbs Wheat DME
.50 lbs 2 Row
.50 lbs 40L Crystal
.50 lbs Biscuit Malt
1.50 lbs Munich Malt
1.50 lbs Vienna Malt

1.50 oz Hallertauer 60 minutes

2 smack packs WYeast 3333

Looking to be a nice caramel color with a 1.080 SG and hopefully 1.012 for 8.9% ABV :mug:. Should be a damn fine Weizenbock.

Nothing this weekend. I'm hosting my annual NCAA Final Four party at my house this year. We'll be drinking lots of homebrew!:tank:

Next weekend I'l either be doing an Alt or a Steam beer. Leaning towards the Steam.

It is Czech-fest at my place this weekend. I just brewed a Pilsner Urquell clone and am going to brew a Budvar clone on Sunday. These are my first real lagers.

Latest posts

Back