What are US Golding hops best for?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregoryShmegory

Reaction score
I recently ordered some hops from Puterbaugh Farms on Hopsdirect.com, some of which were US Goldings at 4.5% AA. has anyone brewed with these hops before? I've read they are kind of like EK Goldings, but other sources say they are like Styrian Golding, which are pretty different in my book. Would they be good for Belgian Style Ales? American Lagers? Dark beers? Any suggestions? Thanks

G

I'd use them in place of anything you'd use UK Goldings for. They are not exactly the same, but close enough. I'd easily use them in Bitters, Porters, Stouts, Amber Ales, Blondes, Scottish or Irish beers and they would still work great in any American beer were you are not looking for a citrus note. They would even work in just about any belgian where all you want is a bittering addition.

I use US Goldings exclusively in my English beers. They turn out great, and my bitters place in nearly every comp they are entered into. I can't comment on comparisons between those and EKG or Styrian, but they are very nice. I've purchased them from HopsDirect and Freshops in the past.

I use US goldings as a finish to my American IPA. Its a recipe with Cascade and Willamette, nice clean big earthy hop finish.

Latest posts

Back