What 6+ beers for Oktoberfest party?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

storytyme

Reaction score
So I was talking to our friends the other day and they want to do an Oktoberfest party. It just so happens I just kegged an Altbier and I have a German Pils and a Kolsch fermenting. What other German influence brews should I add to the list? Marzen seems like an obvious one. So what else to balance out the menu with nothing too extreme. No one else at the party are homebrewers so it is all on me. Thanks everyone.

1. Altbier
2. Pilsner
3. Kolsch
4. Marzen
5. ?
6. ?
7. ?
8. ?

I would throw a saison into the mix. Sure it’s light, but maybe balance out the darker, maltier ones and since it’s a party, some may not like a darker beer.

Get rid of all of them and only serve festbier from maß, keep it authentic and all.

If I brew this week I will have 6 weeks until the party. I feel this may limit some of my choices. Thoughts?

Also I was going to a single step infusion on all my brews. Is this also a factor in eliminating some of the styles?

Obvioulsy I should of done these lagers in March, but hopefully I can still pull some together.

I'd not limit myself to German beers. Do a stout and a pale blonde or something to mix it up. If it must be German, a Schwartzbier verging of too roasty might be a good way to go.

On second thought (I re-read your OP), I would server what is kegged, then get whatever else you can that will fit into you O'fest theme.

Out of the Festbier, Helles, Munich Dunkel, Shrwarzbier, Hefenweizen what is the order for finishing the fastest from grain to glass?

I don't see much difference between Festbier and Marzen.

I'd rock a Berliner Weisse or Gose. Something different from all the malty beers :)

Apfelwein?

How about hefe, kettle-sour gose, and oktober”fast” (Marzen with a Kolsch yeast, at the low end of the yeasts temp range with lagering and fining in keg so it’s done in time).

I don't see much difference between Festbier and Marzen.

Marzen = Amber, toasted maltiness. Most American breweries call this an "Oktoberfest".
Festbier = Pale/Golden, malty with only light toast. What is actually served in the tents at Oktoberfest.

So I was talking to our friends the other day and they want to do an Oktoberfest party. It just so happens I just kegged an Altbier and I have a German Pils and a Kolsch fermenting. What other German influence brews should I add to the list? Marzen seems like an obvious one. So what else to balance out the menu with nothing too extreme. No one else at the party are homebrewers so it is all on me. Thanks everyone.
1. Hefeweizen (For sure!)
2. Marzen (for sure)
3. Kolsch
4. Pilsener
5. Helles
6. Dunkelweizen
7. Schwartzbier
8. Amber or Blonde

Too late for a true Octoberfest lager, but for an Octoberfest party you should have an Octoberfest and a lot of it.......

There is an OctoberfAst recipe around here somewhere maybe it should be on the list.

Not necessarily traditional for fall, but i second the vote for a berliner weisse. With a syrup or two.

Hefe also screams germany. Although if youre running low on time look into an edelweisse type beer. Wheat beer with crazy fast turnaround. You could make that one like a week before the party and be right on time.

I'd third the idea of just lots of festbier.

Otherwise, get an ebook of Historic German and Austrian Beers for the Home Brewer (ISBN 978-1980468523) by Andreas Krennmair and play with the full range of German beers, many of which are helpfully quick to make.

Instead of a stout, make a Merseburger - >120 IBU and flavoured with orange peel and gentian root.
Instead of a gose or Berliner, make a Lichtenhainer (meant to be drunk young, like a gose without the salt but with a bit of smoked barley).
In a similar vein, but not sour - Grodziske.
Broyhan - Ron Pattinson even has a recipe for one with 50% potatoes!
Something sweet like a Jopenbier (FG 1.195!!!) or Mumme.

Thank you everyone! Wow. Awesome comments and my mind is racing. Going to get to work getting some ingredients together and see where this thing goes!

really , if it was me Id pick 3 or 4 solid beer styles . 8 is just a lot to deal with. Now, if this is planning for NEXT year , you have the time.

Another limit I have besides time is fermentation temp control. In my chamber I can fit 4 carboys and it is set at 57 degrees right now with a Kolsch and a Pils fermenting. The Kolsch has another week and the pils another 2 weeks.

I narrowed down what I thought I was going to do along with my Altbier, Kolsch and Pils. I was going to go with:

OktoberfAst,
Munich Dunkel and
Hefeweizen.

But with the fermentation temps of the OktoberfAst and Hefeweizen being higher (I beleive), then I may have to go in another direction that can be done and ready to drink in 7 weeks.

Next on my list was going to be:
Weissbier,
Dunkelweizen
Helles and
Schwarzbier.

So out of those with 7 weeks until party and with a fermentation at 57, which direction should I go? Thank you everyone for guiding me through this. Much, much appreciated.

What is the differences between Dortmunder Export, German Pilsner and Kolsch?

Id like to know as well since Im pretty sure Pilsener comes from Plzen,Czech Republic. Unless it has german hops

My love for Oktoberfest is the whole reason I started brewing...

I'd recommend one of my personal favorites: Vienna Lager.

Would the Vienna Lager be different enough from the Pilsner and Kolsch to make the menu diverse?

What is the differences between Dortmunder Export, German Pilsner and Kolsch?

Exports are stronger - up to 6% - and Dortmunder is kinda between helles and pilsner in style.

Pils is a bit like IPA - just as IPAs don't have to come from Britain even though that's where they originated, same with pilsner in the lager world, it's used to denote a beer at the hoppy end of lager. Although on the Continent that generally equals bitterness derived from noble hops rather than fruit flavours.

The defining aspect of a kolsch is that it's a hybrid beer, it's made with ale yeast at lager temperatures, so the opposite of a US steam beer (lager yeast at ale temperatures), but the two have quite a lot in common. Generally fairly modestly hopped, and a distinct "ale"-iness to them, but still pretty smooth and easy-drinking.

Would the Vienna Lager be different enough from the Pilsner and Kolsch to make the menu diverse?

Vienna Lager should be more malt forward than the other two. Pils is more hoppy. Kolsch is light crisp balanced malt/hops... a lawnmower beer.

Latest posts

Back