What’s New?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maxkling

Reaction score
Took 5 years off due to a move and having 2 kids. Finally built my garage and dedicated a space for brewing. Got my brewery set back up and did a NB Kama Citra AG kit. It was like riding a bike, no issues. Just kegged it with gelatin, will pull a pint in a day or so.

BDD5E103-7FC9-4D38-A1BB-F5B20FA523D3.jpeg

121D004D-C4CB-46C8-82AB-3E49191DB55A.jpeg

The problem I’ve noticed is there are a lot more new trends. Like...

It seems everyone is scared to death of oxidation, what’s up with that? I’ve always known to avoid it and use good tactics, but why such the push?

Kveik yeast, seems cool, where were you while I spent so much time and money on fermentation temperature control? Is it as good as the hype?

In the electric brewing world 3V systems have been replaced by 1V BIAB systems like the Grainfather or Anvil. Has anyone made the switch, my big goal is fast and simple brew days. I average 3 or 4 hours with a 3V system.

The throughput of this site seems drastically down compared to my last stint. I know my LHBS closed a few years ago, has anyone else noticed a decline in the hobby?

Welcome back.

Oxidation -- probably due to recent studies/research. I do know I haven't changed any of my methods.

Kveik -- the latest fad

1V Electric systems -- sorry, but I don't know as I have a large electric brewery.

Throughput -- IMO, years ago more unanswered questions that now, perhaps, are answered. Maybe folks are searching for their answers instead of asking what's already been asked? IDK, perhaps a normal roller coaster type trend. Or, people getting into the hobby thinking, whom know what, quickly burned out?

The heightened appreciation of the effects of post-fermentation oxidation may be attributed to the New England Style IPA craze.
Hot-side oxidation appreciation made a come-back as well after years of being dismissed at the home brewing level. I'll give credit to those leading the LoDO movement for that.

Kveik started as a solution for folks lacking fermentation temperature control. Then more strains showed up, more folks used it just for random brews, et voila. It's now a thing.

1V electric is clearly a BIAB derivative, and BIAB has become a big thing last handful of years. Tons of threads on HBT.

The homebrew industry has been in steep decline over the last five years, but there's been a positive blip at the retail level recently, courtesy of the plague.

Welcome back :)

Cheers!

Ok I thought I’ve started to notice a correlation between the NEIPA and oxidation, that’s interesting. I’m a big IPA fan but haven’t found a NEIPA that really shines.

The transformation of an NEIPA carelessly racked can be so rapid and vivid (and ultimately horrible) it really gets homebrewers' attention...

Cheers!

lol! Tough nuggies, I love 'em! 3 of my six taps have had neipas for at least two years straight :D

Cheers!

Got a good suggestion for one? I remember a time when I hated IPAs. I had a Rouge Yellow Snow and about gagged, now I love them, always open to finding something new and good. I have yet to find a NE or Milkshake that I really like, compared to just drinkable.

I don't do slurry or milkshake beers - my neipas are hazy, not murky, and certainly not opaque (I'm not a fan of those).
I don't use a ton of adjuncts, just a lot of post-boil and dry-hop high octane hops.
For clones, the Treehouse Orange Julius and the Weldwerks Juicy Bits are two of my favorites...

Cheers!

Back