What’s a couple of degrees??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TLowell

Reaction score
Hey all. Going to try a new blond ale recipe that calls for one week of fermentation at 60F then a natural rise to 70F after one week. My question is about the temp. I have a spot in my basement right now that sits between 56-59F all the time. Rather than set up a controlled environment, would this area suffice? Thanks!

Hey all. Going to try a new blond ale recipe that calls for one week of fermentation at 60F then a natural rise to 70F after one week. My question is about the temp. I have a spot in my basement right now that sits between 56-59F all the time. Rather than set up a controlled environment, would this area suffice? Thanks!

The cooler area should help. The cooler the wort is at when the yeast starts going, the more likely the temp won't run away.

Usually fermentation process rises wort/beer temp a few degrees above ambient is not controlled, but depending on yeast and wort, it can "run away" a little more. I never have seen a 10 degree rise, but not saying it could not happen.

The 56-59 temp range is good in general, but as tripper notes above, the yeast strain is important info to make more specific recommendations.

You should be fine but monitor it. Add a fan blowing directly on the fermenter or put the fermenter in a water bath if you are concerned. Also don’t overpitch or start with the wort warm - before I had my ferment freezer, I had a runaway fermentation, where the wort was a little too warm to begin with, then the ferment took off like crazy and got warmer, then the higher temps drove the fermentation even crazier. Ended up at 76 in a 66 degree basement. The beer was awful. But most normal ferments only rise a few degrees.

You should be fine but monitor it. Add a fan blowing directly on the fermenter or put the fermenter in a water bath if you are concerned. Also don’t overpitch or start with the wort warm - before I had my ferment freezer, I had a runaway fermentation, where the wort was a little too warm to begin with, then the ferment took off like crazy and got warmer, then the higher temps drove the fermentation even crazier. Ended up at 76 in a 66 degree basement. The beer was awful. But most normal ferments only rise a few degrees.
Thanks! Common advice I’ve received is to make sure wort is not above temp when I pitch. Thanks for the advice. Will put a small fan in closet and let it blow across fermentor.

Back