Weyermann Munich Type 2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eetu

Reaction score
I ordered some to use in my Maibock, just enough to boost the maltyness. I opened the malt bag yesterday and it looks suspiciously dark, much darker than I expected. Not roasted dark but more like Amber Malt. It's hard to find a picture of how it should look like. Shops online seem to use pretty random photos of different malts.

Is it possible they messed up and I have something else in the bag than what I ordered? Or is Munich II supposed to look distinctly darkened?

I'm afraid it'll totally mess up my recipe... I will steep a quick tee and see how it tastes and looks like.

Munich II is about 8-10L so it should look roughly like Crystal 10 if you have any on hand to compare.

Looks nothing like it should.
20180912_165915.jpeg

You should email the shop again and make them investigate. It looks more like a 30-40 L Crystal malt.

I'm pretty sure it's Caramunich Type 2, not regular Munich.

God I'm so pissed right now. Had everything set up for the brew and now this ****.

What percentage of your grain bill were you going to use this for? Hate to see a perfectly good day for brewing go to waste :(

Edit: Oh hey, if you have enough pale or pilsen malt on hand you can toast it in the oven to approximate Munich light. I've done it a few times, it's pretty easy and gave good results.

OK. Save the caramunich and make a Baltic porter or dunkel. Not much you can do now with it, but it is a great ingredient.

Last edited:
What percentage of your grain bill were you going to use this for? Hate to see a perfectly good day for brewing go to waste :(
9%, so it's a significant amount.

If ruining my brew day wasn't enough, I had mixed the grain bill yesterday so everything would be ready when I get back from work today. Now I have a grain bill ready for "something". Should have noticed this right away. Feel so stupid and angry..

If ruining my brew day wasn't enough, I had mixed the grain bill yesterday so everything would be ready when I get back from work today. Now I have a grain bill ready for "something". Should have noticed this right away. Feel so stupid and angry..

Editied for stupidity - comment retracted.

Sounds like it might make a good IPA tho? All is not lost, whatever it is it will be beer and likely a very tasty one. Ask the retailer to replace your whole grain bill since they effed it up.

I have used caramunich II in a rye pale. Really awesome combo. Don't know what else there is in your grain bill or if it has been mixed, but there still may be options - or just mash low and long and go for it.

It's 68% Pilsner, 23% Vienna and 9% Caramunich II (i guess).

It's only a 14 liter batch, max is about 20 with my equipment if I want full boil. I could throw maybe a kilo(now 4.4kg) more malt in my malt pipe, 1.5 more would be pushing it.

So yeah, still can brew a great beer with that bill.

I'm beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel. It's just homebrew. A slight bump in the road, that's all.

I think I'll have one right now. Cheers mates!

I use 15L dark munich malt quite a bit, and it does look dark compared with 2 Row base malt. Darker than a comparative crystal malt.

That is darker than Crystal 100EBC which I had in hand. I made a small tee by mixing 3g malt to 1dl water, comparable ratio to my recipe. It became copper/amber colored and flavor was notably malty.

The husks are deep brown on the inside as well. I believe that should be the case only when the malt is caramelized.

It's 68% Pilsner, 23% Vienna and 9% Caramunich II (i guess).

It's only a 14 liter batch, max is about 20 with my equipment if I want full boil. I could throw maybe a kilo(now 4.4kg) more malt in my malt pipe, 1.5 more would be pushing it.

So yeah, still can brew a great beer with that bill.

I'm beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel. It's just homebrew. A slight bump in the road, that's all.

I think I'll have one right now. Cheers mates!
Excellent way to look at it my dude. RDWAHAHB

The shop confirmed it's most likely Caramunich II, they have the containers placed close to each other. They will send me the correct malt for free.

I might follow ProblemChild's hint and try making amber colored ipa and throw some rye malt in the bill, which I happen to have at hand.

20 liters
OG 1.062

4kg Pilsner (65,6%)
1kg Vienna (16,4%)
0.7kg Rye Malt (11,5%)
0.4kg Caramunich II (6,6%)

Never brewed with Caramunich but I reckon it will be a bit sweet. Rye malt and low mash temperature might hopefully balance that.

I have Magnum, Columbus, Centennial, some Simcoe and a bit of Amarillo.

I was thinking mainly Columbus and Centennial, maybe throw the rest of Simcoe to dry hop..

What you think, any good?

It leans more to a hoppy pale, but very good grist for that. mash low and long for sure to break down the dextrines. The rye is great with CaraMunich. No need to add a bittering charge as the rye carries enough bite to substitute for that. I would target 37-40 IBU as described below.

As a thought -
20 IBU with Simcoe @ 20min,
10 IBU with Amarillo and Centennial at 2min, (equal parts)
about 7-10 IBU in a 10 min whirlpool at 170°F with Centennial, Amarillo and Simcoe (2:2:1)

Brewed the Maibock yesterday, happily fermenting in my wine cooler now.

Would you dry hop that Rye Pale or let the malt shine more? I don't have enough Amarillo. I was thinking aroma hopping with Centennial, Columbus and Simcoe, 2/1/1 ratio. I'm weighing between late kettle additions only or DH as well.

Brewed the Maibock yesterday, happily fermenting in my wine cooler now.

Would you dry hop that Rye Pale or let the malt shine more? I don't have enough Amarillo. I was thinking aroma hopping with Centennial, Columbus and Simcoe, 2/1/1 ratio. I'm weighing between late kettle additions only or DH as well.
Dry hopping wont hurt but in my opinion it could potentialy reduce the life of the beer. Amarillo cent and simcoe are delicious tho! The choice is yours!

It boggles my mind how easily a single mold spore can find its way into an otherwise sterile fermenter and ruin a beer, but tossing in half a pound of unsterilized hop pellets at the end of primary presents practically zero risk of infection. I've experienced it myself and still can't accept that this is the case.

It boggles my mind how easily a single mold spore can find its way into an otherwise sterile fermenter and ruin a beer, but tossing in half a pound of unsterilized hop pellets at the end of primary presents practically zero risk of infection. I've experienced it myself and still can't accept that this is the case.
Those wonderful antimicrobial hops. Makes me wonder how different things would be if early brewers used some other antimicrobial agent in their beer instead of hops. Ginger beer, cool. Garlic beer, err...

Back