Weyermann choccy wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sadu

Reaction score
I'm refining my recipe for an oatmeal stout. Have brewed 2 revisions so far and both have come out very nice. I cut back the roast barley (using just 2%) and added in 4% roast wheat instead. It comes out with a really mellow roastiness and no harsh bitterness, makes for a very easy drinking stout that doesn't scare off the BMC crowd but still full of interesting flavours.

Then I happened across some Weyermann chocolate wheat at the HBS and had to buy some.

I was wondering if anyone has used this malt before and could suggest how to include it in my recipe? The recipe currently has 5% chocolate malt, I was thinking of just subbing that out with chocolate wheat. Alternately just adding it into the mix as well as the dark chocolate. I'm not really sure what choccy wheat brings to the table.

Recipe:
70% Pale ale malt
10% oats
5% dark chocolate
5% dark crystal
4% brown malt
4% roast wheat
2% roast barley
Fuggles for 32 IBU plus a small 10 min addition
Wyeast 1450 Denny's favourite fermented at 18c/64f

OG 1.057
FG 1.018
ABV 5.1%

Keen to hear how other people use this malt.

I'm refining my recipe for an oatmeal stout. Have brewed 2 revisions so far and both have come out very nice. I cut back the roast barley (using just 2%) and added in 4% roast wheat instead. It comes out with a really mellow roastiness and no harsh bitterness, makes for a very easy drinking stout that doesn't scare off the BMC crowd but still full of interesting flavours.

Then I happened across some Weyermann chocolate wheat at the HBS and had to buy some.

I was wondering if anyone has used this malt before and could suggest how to include it in my recipe? The recipe currently has 5% chocolate malt, I was thinking of just subbing that out with chocolate wheat. Alternately just adding it into the mix as well as the dark chocolate. I'm not really sure what choccy wheat brings to the table.

Recipe:
70% Pale ale malt
10% oats
5% dark chocolate
5% dark crystal
4% brown malt
4% roast wheat
2% roast barley
Fuggles for 32 IBU plus a small 10 min addition
Wyeast 1450 Denny's favourite fermented at 18c/64f

OG 1.057
FG 1.018
ABV 5.1%

Keen to hear how other people use this malt.

Really curious if you've tried this, have you given it a shot yet?

Back