Wet behind the ears with beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewit718

Reaction score
I'm fairly new to brewing. I've made four batches of beer over the past few years, and working on the fifth now. The first beer I brewed was from a beer kit my brother gave me . It turned out " just O.k." The second, I bought a Carboy and the ingredients to make an Octoberfest . It couldn't have turned better. The third batch was brewed from Premium Malt extract that I bought at the grocery store. I eventually poured it out. The forth batch was supposed to be the equivalent of Michelob, I lagered it for nine months before it was drinkable. Now I'm brewing an Australian Light lager, at the time I put in secondary I boiled honey with 1/2 gallon of water and added it to the beer (Just experimenting ) . Now it has ( what looks like) cottage cheese just beneath the krausen. Have I ruined it? And is beer brewed with more LME better/easer to brew than beer that has DME ?

You just probably kick started your fermentation again. There is still plenty of yeast left in the secondary that would love nothing more than to start eating all that honey and fermenting again. I'd just wait until that settles down again and package as usual. As far as brewing with LME/DME you'll get lots of opinions but i all grain so I havent done enought extract brews to say one is better than the other. I highly suggest all graining because it gives you much more control over the finished product, though it does require some extra equipment if you are ready. Otherwise, just brew with what you like.

schoellhorn82 said:
You just probably kick started your fermentation again. There is still plenty of yeast left in the secondary that would love nothing more than to start eating all that honey and fermenting again. I'd just wait until that settles down again and package as usual. As far as brewing with LME/DME you'll get lots of opinions but i all grain so I havent done enought extract brews to say one is better than the other. I highly suggest all graining because it gives you much more control over the finished product, though it does require some extra equipment if you are ready. Otherwise, just brew with what you like.

More control how?

More control how?

There are far more varieties of grain than extracts. Same with liquid yeasts vs. dry packs. Honestly, all grain brewing is no harder than extract brewing, it just takes a MLT and a bit more time in your brew day.

More control how?

There are far more varieties of grain than extracts. Same with liquid yeasts vs. dry packs. Honestly, all grain brewing is no harder than extract brewing, it just takes a MLT and a bit more time in your brew day.

You get more control from creating a more alcoholic and lighter beer or you can make a more malty ,less alcoholic beer from controlling the temperature of the mash. When you buy extract, you have no idea what temps the company use to in their mash.

Back