Went over board with sugar when priming?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CanadianBacon

Reaction score
My last 3 beers have been ok but have lacked carbonation, I was using 1/2 tsp light brown sugar ( cane sugar )per beer bottle 330-355 ml. This time I tried to use 1 tsp light brown sugar ( cane sugar ) for each 330-355 ml, after reading there were a few people experimenting with it but now i'm worried about bottle bombs.

Any one else use this much? I'm making copper beer kits, stout, amber ale and English bitter ale.

I never wanted to prime in bucket because I was worried about adding another step to allow for infection or oxidization.

.8oz per gallon I use, 4oz for a full 5gallons.
That's about half of one cup ! You have really gone ott.
Just how are you going to sleep with that on your mind ?

Btw. Mine are imperial gallons, if yours are US gallons that makes it even worse !

Add priming sugar to your bottling bucket. Throw it in there right after it finishes dissolving in a cup of boiling water. It will help sanitize your bucket if nothing else. It will not introduce oxygen to your beer. Boiling liquids tend to not absorb any gasses. It's cold liquids that absorb gasses. Hot liquids tend to expel all absorbed gasses.

Edit:

BTW, when you boil water on the stove. The first bubbles you are seeing is not the water evaporating. It is the absorbed gasses in the water accumulating and releasing.

I agree that adding dissolved sugar, or DME, in boiling solution to your bottling bucket is a much better way of priming than adding sugar directly to your bottles. There is not a high chance of infection, and almost no chance of oxidation there.

Well, I think I'll have allot of beer to drink over the next 3 weeks...

After some more research l confirmed that 3/4 tsp per bottle has worked for many. Some Supporting forum member also have said they have use 1 teaspoon if they drink it quick.

Anyone have experience in this? All i can say is the beer i used 1/2 tsp on still is under carbed 2 months later. I used the same light brown ( cane sugar)

1/2 a tsp per bottle works fine. But, it can just sit at the bottom if you don't roll them around for a bit, they do of course have to be at a suitable temperature to restart fermentation in the bottle.
As above, blending the sugar in the bottling bucket is by far the best way.

Latest posts

Back