Welsh Nettle Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TasunkaWitko

Reaction score
I struggled to find a proper translation into Welsh for this, and finally gave up.

I make no claims as to whether this recipe is "viable" or "authentic," as I am unable to try it due to a lack of needed ingredients. I hope someone is able to give this a try, perhaps in the UK or northern Europe, and would really love to hear about the results.

I would suggest covering the fermentation vessel with a tea towel at the very least, or using some sort of blow-off tube or air-lock, if possible.

I will caution: 12 hours of fermentation, then 24 hours of "gassing off" before sealing the bottles seems like it might not be quite enough time, but I cannot say for sure; with only 1 pound of sugar for the yeast to consume, it could very well be just fine for the intended results, I do not know. It might be "safer" to bottle this in PET plastic bottles, at least the first time. If I were able to try this, that's what I would do.

Nettle Beer

What You Need:

A basketful of young nettles
A handful of dandelions
A handful of currant leaves
1 pound sugar to each gallon of liquid
A handful of goose grass
1 ounce yeast
1 teaspoon cream of tartar

1. Wash and drain the nettle and currant leaves, goose grass and dandelions and put into a very large saucepan.

2. Add enough cold water to cover, bring to the boil and cook rapidly for 10 minutes.

3. Strain through a sieve, pressing well to obtain the entire flavor from the leaves.

4. Pour into an earthenware vessel and add the sugar.

5. Leave until lukewarm, then add the yeast, previously dissolved in a little of the liquid, and the cream of tartar.

6. Leave in a warm place for at least 12 hours to allow the yeast to work.

7. Bottle and cork lightly. After 24 hours, cork very tightly. Leave for at least 2 months before drinking.

Regarding the currant leaves used in making this, here are some relevant snippets from Wikipedia:

Blackcurrant

Ribes nigrum, the blackcurrant, is a medium-sized shrub, growing to 1.5 by 1.5 metres (4.9 by 4.9 ft).... In midsummer the strigs of green fruit ripen to edible berries, very dark purple in colour, almost black, with glossy skins and persistent calyxes at the apex, each containing many seeds. An established bush can produce about 4.5 kilograms (10 pounds) of fruit each year....

The blackcurrant is native to northern Europe and Asia. It was cultivated in Russia by the 11th century when it was present in monastery gardens and also grown in towns and settlements. Cultivation in Europe is thought to have started around the last decades of the 17th century. Decoction of the leaves, bark or roots was also used as traditional remedies.

During World War II, most fruits rich in vitamin C, such as oranges, became difficult to obtain in the United Kingdom. Since blackcurrant berries are a rich source of the vitamin and blackcurrant plants are suitable for growing in the UK climate, the British Government encouraged their cultivation and soon the yield of the nation's crop increased significantly. From 1942 onwards, blackcurrant syrup was distributed free of charge to children under the age of two, and this may have given rise to the lasting popularity of blackcurrant as a flavouring in Britain. In Britain the commercial crop is completely mechanised and about 1,400 hectares of the fruit are grown, mostly under contract to the juicing industry. Commercially, most large-scale cultivation of blackcurrants is done in eastern Europe for the juice and juice concentrate market.[19] As of 2017, major cultivation efforts to improve fruit characteristics occurred in Scotland, New Zealand, and Poland....

In Lithuanian cuisine, Juodųjų serbentų pyragas, or blackcurrant pie, is a popular dessert.

The fruit of blackcurrants can be eaten raw, but it has a strong, tart flavour. It can be made into jams and jellies which set readily because of the fruit's high content of pectin and acid. For culinary use, the fruit is usually cooked with sugar to produce a purée, which can then be passed through muslin to separate the juice. The purée can be used to make blackcurrant preserves and be included in cheesecakes, yogurt, ice cream, desserts, sorbets and many other sweet dishes. The exceptionally strong flavour can be moderated by combining it with other fruits, such as raspberries and strawberries in summer pudding, or apples in crumbles and pies. The juice can be used in syrups and cordials. Blackcurrants are a common ingredient of rødgrød, a popular kissel-like dessert in North German and Danish cuisines.

Blackcurrants are also used in savoury cooking because their astringency creates added flavour in many sauces, meat and other dishes and they are included in some unusual combinations of foods. They can be added to tomato and mint to make a salad, used to accompany roast or grilled lamb, used to accompany seafood and shellfish, used as a dipping sauce at barbecues, blended with mayonnaise, used to invigorate bananas and other tropical fruits, combined with dark chocolate or added to mincemeat in traditional mince pies at Christmas....

The juice forms the basis for various popular cordials, juice drinks, juices and smoothies. Typically blended with apple or other red fruits, it is also mixed with pomegranate and grape juice. Macerated blackcurrants are also the primary ingredient in the apéritif liqueur crème de cassis, which in turn is added to white wine to produce a Kir or to champagne to make a Kir Royale.

In the United Kingdom, blackcurrant cordial is often mixed with cider (hard cider) to make a drink called "cider and black". If made with any common British lager beer, it is known as a "lager and black". The addition of blackcurrant to a mix of cider and lager results in "diesel" or "snakebite and black" available at pubs. A "black 'n' black" can be made by adding a small amount of blackcurrant juice to a pint of stout. The head is purple if the shot of juice is placed in the glass first. Blackcurrant juice is sometimes combined with whey in an endurance/energy-type drink.

In Russia, blackcurrant leaves may be used for flavouring tea or preserves, such as salted cucumbers, and berries for home winemaking. Sweetened vodka may also be infused with blackcurrant leaves making a deep greenish-yellow beverage with a tart flavour and astringent taste. The berries may be infused in a similar manner. In Britain, 95% of the blackcurrants grown end up in Ribena (a brand of fruit juice whose name is derived from Ribes nigrum) and similar fruit syrups and juices.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackcurrant

An important note:

I'm still sorting out what "nettles" are, but it appears that at least some of them are related to the Nightshade family, which means that some can and probably are poisonous.

I strongly caution anyone to keep this in mind if pursuing this project.

Good news regarding nettles:

It looks like one of the most common species (Stinging Nettle) is widely distributed throughout the United States and Northern Europe:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urtica_dioica

It also appears that while this one can "sting" you a bit, it doesn't appear to be deadly, and is in fact used for various culinary and herbal purposes.

An important note:

I'm still sorting out what "nettles" are, but it appears that at least some of them are related to the Nightshade family, which means that some can and probably are poisonous.

I strongly caution anyone to keep this in mind if pursuing this project.

Oh man, you really are flying blind if this is your knowledge of British weeds. As you've worked out, Urtica dioica is a really common weed in Britain that is used for all sorts of things in traditional herbals - from fibre to soup. Their sting is unpleasant but not quite as bad as say a bee/wasp sting.

Just to give you a push :
Dandelions - Taraxacum officinale, another common weed
Goose grass (also known as cleavers and many other local names) - Galium aparine, another common weed notable for its stickiness.
Currants - if they don't say black currants then they don't mean black currants, they mean red currants Ribes rubrum (or white currants, which are just a colour variant of R. rubrum). Another option could be flowering currants like Ribes sanguineum but they are an introduction from the US so would postdate a traditional recipe, and aren't really thought of for culinary use.

I've not heard of people using Ribes leaves in recipes, but all the others are pretty traditional foraged foods, so it's plausible.
But now's not the time for young nettles or dandelions, this is a recipe for April-June.

Hi, NB, and many thanks for weighing in on this. You are correct: my first-hand knowledge is nil, so I was limited as to what I could find, and posted as I discovered it.

I have a friend in northern England who is going to see if he can give this a go when spring comes; hopefully, I'll have more to add at that time. If you also try this, I'd be grateful for any insights.

Ron

Hi, NB, and many thanks for weighing in on this. You are correct: my first-hand knowledge is nil, so I was limited as to what I could find, and posted as I discovered it.

I have a friend in northern England who is going to see if he can give this a go when spring comes; hopefully, I'll have more to add at that time. If you also try this, I'd be grateful for any insights.

Ron
Sounds interesting! If I remember, or you remember me, then I will give it a try next spring.

Sounds good! In my opinion, the more people who are able to try this, the better, so as to get a good understanding of it.

I must admit, even though I've got all the ingredients growing in the garden, I'm not that curious to try it. Essentially it's brewing with salad. If salad wine was a thing, we'd know about it.

It looks like a recipe for the "hard times" in late spring, after the proper beer has run out and before the nice things for brewing like elderflowers have come into season. Since Wales is rainier and cloudier than most of the UK, the seasons there are later (and eg barley yields are lower) and so they would have had more need of this kind of recipe.

I must admit, even though I've got all the ingredients growing in the garden, I'm not that curious to try it. Essentially it's brewing with salad. If salad wine was a thing, we'd know about it.

It looks like a recipe for the "hard times" in late spring, after the proper beer has run out and before the nice things for brewing like elderflowers have come into season. Since Wales is rainier and cloudier than most of the UK, the seasons there are later (and eg barley yields are lower) and so they would have had more need of this kind of recipe.
Wouldn't be so sure if your salad comparison turns out to be true. Dandelion can be quite intense. According to what I have read, goose grass even more and current leaves are a common ingredient in herbal teas. All of them have health benefits as well so it sounds more like a spring tonic to me than a salad whine!

Wouldn't be so sure if your salad comparison turns out to be true. Dandelion can be quite intense.

I have intense leaves in my salads too! Don't forget, this recipe is >80% nettle, which isn't particularly strong. My real point was that it's all flavoured with leaf, so I imagine it will be quite vegetal-tasting.

I have intense leaves in my salads too! Don't forget, this recipe is >80% nettle, which isn't particularly strong. My real point was that it's all flavoured with leaf, so I imagine it will be quite vegetal-tasting.

In my head, this really depends on the goose grass. Never ever thought about trying this, but I read that it is used as a substitute for black tea and that it can get quite bitter. It might cover all the nettle aromas. But nettle doesn't taste like much anyway. Nettle tea tastes a bit boring, if there is something with flavour inside, it would easily overpower it. Depends on the intensity and the relations I guess.

I'm curious about the provenance of this recipe. OP says it's a Welsh recipe, but couldn't find a proper translation of the recipe into Welsh. First of all, if it's a Welsh recipe, shouldn't the issue be getting a translation from Welsh? If it's already in English and you don't speak Welsh, why are you trying to translate it into Welsh? More so, what source did OP get this recipe from that states that it's a (presumably historic) Welsh beer recipe?

Not to throw shade on the whole thing, it's just nice to know a bit of the history behind a historical recipe and that hasn't been provided yet.

if it's a Welsh recipe, shouldn't the issue be getting a translation from Welsh?

Most Welsh people don't speak Welsh - despite a concerted effort to get it taught in school as a cultural heritage thing, only about a quarter of Welsh people speak some Welsh and about half that are fluent in it.

My observation would be that the weird start to the year has been good for dandelions but oddly not so good for nettles, that could just be a local thing though.

Most Welsh people don't speak Welsh - despite a concerted effort to get it taught in school as a cultural heritage thing, only about a quarter of Welsh people speak some Welsh and about half that are fluent in it.

Quite a shame tbh, I work together with some guys and girls from Wales and if it wouldn't be spoken by such a small number of people, I would definitely try to learn it, just for the sound of it.

Sounds like Vikings are talking.

Nice - I have seen similar recipes for dandelion wine; one of these days I really need to give it a go.

I randomly came across another nettle/dandelion combination, this time using dandelion root and "lamb's tongue" by which I assume she means ribwort plantain, Plantago lanceolata, which is another common weed in England and nothing to do with bananas!!! I can't be certain that's a correct identification though.

It's in a British Library blog about their recordings of regional accents, where people end up talking about stuff like this - there's more links to recipes at the bottom including
Traditional 1930’s Stinging Nettle Beer Recipe - 1930s recipe with dandelion leaves, cleavers/goosegrass, ginger and toast (!)
nettlebeer.com
https://www.discoverwildlife.com/how-to/make-things/how-to-make-nettle-beer/
https://blogs.bl.uk/sound-and-visio...the-week-it-is-a-great-thing-nettle-beer.html

Bumping this thread. The local area cask ale brewery makes an annual stinging nettle ale. Stinging Nettle Ale

I had to make a special trip over (15 minutes drive) to try a pint. Pretty dang tasty. Kind of akin to a stronger earthier fuggles. Bill the brewer wasn't there tonight, but the server explained it's just a late addition boil like a aroma hop in mesh bags. Apparently it's a really popular seasonal at the brewery. Definately tasty and I will be brewing my own attempt.

My kids are getting into foraging, and stinging nettles are pretty easy to find in these parts. I've been making stinging nettle pasta and ravioli's, which are really good. The stinging nettles when boiled taste kinda like spinach but stronger and earthier in a good way. So, I have an order in to the kiddo's for a shopping bag of nettles for an upcoming brew day.

Latest posts

Back