Well-Water w/ STAR-SAN

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drew1d

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello HBT peoples,

I recently bought a new home, and the water test is showing bacteria in the water. The apartment I came from, I suspect also had bacteria. (if a drop of water from the faucet got in, it would "sour" the beer.)

So the remedy as I am told, is mixing water and bleach and pouring down the well housing, waiting and then "flushing" the lines in the house. I was told by well people to do this, and by system sellers not to do this.

I kept thinking to myself the whole time, why don't I just make a double strength Star San batch and pour it down there instead. Even if it dillutes to some degree, I'll leave it over night then flush the lines. At least I won't be scared about drinking it.

I mean, I'm not going to do it, but am I far off in the logic of it?

-Drew

Pouring bleach in a well is pretty standard. Here’s a good description of the procedure. http://aces.nmsu.edu/pubs/_m/m-115.html

The Star-San solution would be so diluted as to be useless. With bleach, you use the whole jug, if not more, depending on the size of the well. I don’t think you want to buy a gallon of Star-San.

Pouring bleach in a well is pretty standard. Here’s a good description of the procedure. http://aces.nmsu.edu/pubs/_m/m-115.html

The Star-San solution would be so diluted as to be useless. With bleach, you use the whole jug, if not more, depending on the size of the well. I don’t think you want to buy a gallon of Star-San.

I have a gallon of Star San, but I think you may be right, it's probably a waste.

At least I won't be scared about drinking it.

I mean, I'm not going to do it, but am I far off in the logic of it?

-Drew

Bleach is chlorine. People drink chlorinated water every day. Why would you be scared about drinking it?

Drew, I had to do the same with my well. It will smell a little like bleach for a few days but it will go away. You might also want to get a full water report. Our well water here is very hard. But it does differ in parts of the town.

Drew, I had to do the same with my well. It will smell a little like bleach for a few days but it will go away. You might also want to get a full water report. Our well water here is very hard. But it does differ in parts of the town.

Thanks Jeremy. We got to get together and sip some brew dude!

Do not be afraid to use bleach to sanitize your well. I worked for a health department for years and that is exactly what we recommended. Not sure if anyone told you this, but you also need to do a second test after sanitizing it, to make sure the procedure worked and to eliminate the possibility of a cracked well casing. If there is bacteria in the well, it could be because it was not maintained properly, but it is more likely an indicator of surface water contamination from a cracked casing. If the latter is the case, bacteria will be re-introduced after you sanitize and it will show up in the second test.

Back