Well Water Treatment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TxBrew

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
For those who brew using well water, what filtration do you use.

Moving into a home with well water and it's a shallow well tested twice positive for e. coli.

Thought about going the ultraviolet route vs. a chlorinator so then I don't have the chlorine to deal with.

I have a UV light. Works OK though it's probably time to test again since it went out and my lines are probably all contaminated again. Spendy bulbs but I never priced out a chlorine system + carbon filters.
Also have a calcite tank and water softener and am always futzing with the salt usage to keep the hardness down. It's all good for brewing, though. Except when I get too much iron. But that's how I know it's time to change the big blue filter.

Nothing on my well. Should get a softner one of these days. Glasses often come out of the dishwasher with a calcium haze. A hand wash in a white vinegar solution clears them right up.

Oh, and the important thing, it makes GREAT beer. Same water Coca Cola bottles for Dasani water. Plant is 3 miles away from me.

Large Sediment Filter -> Water Softener with Iron Removal -> Large Carbon Filter, water tastes clean as a whistle!

Latest posts

Back