We'll never stop drinking!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting...
Also, I had never heard of cellulase before.

and i'd be scared, not only by the $80 dollars....but that they call methanol "wood alcohol".....i'd have to find out if the fact grain alcohol is fermented to ethanol because it's a (discharged(disacharide(SP?, lol)) damn it.....what's important he got a shot or two of booze out of a roll of tp.... and could be a new use for yard waste....

edit: and i'm disappointed the spell checker on a homebrew forum doesn't know how to spell check disachhiried , lol (all be-it it's 1:30am and it's time for bed....GOOD NIGHT EVERYONE!)

Last edited:
and i'd be scared, not only by the $80 dollars....but that they call methanol "wood alcohol".....i'd have to find out if the fact grain alcohol is fermented to ethanol because it's a (discharged(disacharide(SP?, lol)) damn it.....what's important he got a shot or two of booze out of a roll of tp.... and could be a new use for yard waste....

edit: and i'm disappointed the spell checker on a homebrew forum doesn't know how to spell check disachhiried , lol (all be-it it's 1:30am and it's time for bed....GOOD NIGHT EVERYONE!)
Disaccharides!

Pectins (and perhaps lignins too) can/will result in methanol production during fermentation. Mostly fruit based fermentations will contain a small % of methanol.* As you know, when distilling those, the methanol becomes more concentrated, especially in the foreshots, due to the lower boil temps. That's why we discard those, or repurpose for lighter fluid, carburetor cleaner, glass cleaner, etc. But depending on the column and experience of the distiller, there's a (sometimes sizeable) fraction left in the heads too. Flavor comes at a price... Or better said, flavor vs. poison can be a fine line, and is always a tradeoff.

Here's an interesting read on various products released during fermentations:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5028366/

* I've measured as much as 330 ppm in French red wines.

It's a problem that was heavily researched when bio-ethanol (cellulosic ethanol) plants were going to save the world. There have been GE yeast that produce cellulase enzymes. If only they could deal with that pesky lignin and hemicellulose. But it's not the cool technology anymore since it wasn't a quick fix.

I think it'd be still be cool, my car and i run on the same fuel....lol, but if GE yeast like that got out, wouldn't it liquefy the forests? :eek:
No more than brewers yeast getting out and turning all the fruit into wine and grain into beer. The yeast still needs adequate environment to thrive.

Back