Well depth and water temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jr14

Reaction score
Does anyone happen to know if the water temperature decreases as you go down in well depth?

We have a 270 ft. deep well, and it's been 90+ degrees for the last two or three days, and my tap water bottomed out at 55.2 degrees F.

That seems pretty dang low to me, but I've never tested anyone else's tap water before.

Seems low enough to cool wort at least.

Thoughts?

55 degrees is plenty cool to chill with. I'd be real happy with that in the summer time. My tap water is at about 78 right now and I have to use some ice.

Does anyone happen to know if the water temperature decreases as you go down in well depth?

We have a 270 ft. deep well, and it's been 90+ degrees for the last two or three days, and my tap water bottomed out at 55.2 degrees F.

That seems pretty dang low to me, but I've never tested anyone else's tap water before.

Seems low enough to cool wort at least.

Thoughts?

55 deg sounds a little warm for CT groundwater, but your plumbing may be adding a few degrees. The typical groundwater temperature for CT is approximately 50 deg at 100 ft in depth, which is the annual average air temperature. There should be very little difference in temp at 270 ft. Your temp should be great for cooling wort.

We have a 570 ft. deep well and our water is about 50 degrees. It works like a charm in the wort chiller.

Awesome. With my new IC I should have cooled wort in no time.

Back