Weld on conical. OK or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mors

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I bought a new conical and everything looks great on it....except for perhaps this weld at the very bottom of the conical. Now I don't really know what is a good sanitary weld and what isn't. There are some 'bumps' down there that almost look black when the flash isn't going off on my camera. So basically I want to know if i'm being anal or if I should contact the manufacturer. Thanks for looking.

https://plus.google.com/photos/108279015780846984757/albums/5695097907269227937?authkey=CMvX1I2wqprprgE

I work as a quality annalist for a manufacturer. It can't hurt to contact them and voice your concern. That being said, I don't think you will ever notice a difference in your beer even if NASA resurfaced the bumps off.
Brew, drink, and be happy!
Cheers!

That's one of the best conical welds I've seen. There are some real dogs out there. If you're concerned about the small pitting, a quart of boiling water in the bottom before your normal sanitizing technique should take care of it.

Back