Weld Help needed Dry Hop Keg Lids

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dental floss through a small glob of keg lube on the lid gasket doesn't float your boat, then?

You could silver solder a small stainless steel washer to the lid all by yourself :)

Cheers!

I have had small leaks with the floss run through the gasket as well.

I took a large SS washer (1" ?), bent it at a 90° angle and used a resistance spot welder to weld it to the lid. I spot welded it in three places.

I may be able to send you a pic of the top of the lid, you should be able to see the spots. However, the keg is currently in use so I can't show you the inside. In a couple of weeks I could.....

Last edited:
Here's a pic of the top:
img_0415-67888.jpg

PingPong ball. But course the beer could get 'hoppier' or more astringent if not kept cold

Yeah, silver solder or JB Weld a stainless washer to it.

Edit: Just saw an idea on Reddit that might also work: Slide a #6 drilled stopper over the dip tube all the way to the top, that could be your tie-down point with some floss or something.

Yeah, silver solder or JB Weld a stainless washer to it.

Edit: Just saw an idea on Reddit that might also work: Slide a #6 drilled stopper over the dip tube all the way to the top, that could be your tie-down point with some floss or something.

I have a few kegs with a nut welded to the lid. I "save" those for dry hopping, using very thin stainless (picture) wire to tie the bags to the nuts. Got a huge roll of it.

I really like the idea of tying the string around the dip tube, use a clove hitch! A few stacked o-rings may also prevent it from sliding down. I usually leave the bags in anyway.

I like the o-ring idea but I already had the washers and solder. Took only a couple min. with my creme brulee torch. The small torch has better control

Top.jpg

What are the most common uses for this? I want to put some hot peppers in a mesh bag.

Anyone putting in bagged hops while the beer is being tapped and consumed?

Back