Weirdest object found in your mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

conneryis007

Reaction score
On tuesday I was brewing a dunkelweizen with some cold mashed chocolate grains. Apparently the metal kitchen spoon I was using to stir the cold mash ended up getting dumped into the mash tun during the sparge! I know a spoon isnt such an off the wall object, but im sure somebody on here has found a weird object in their mash!

sorry I don't have anything hilarious to add to this thread.

only that I've never had a mash that I haven't had to pick out threads from a grain bag

One time,after the mash for one of my hybrid lagers,I was straining it into the FV. After I strained it all in,I looked at the leavings in the strainer,& found a blue/green (azure colored) flake about the size of a spring pea in the leavings.
Never figured out where it came from,but it didn't effect the finished beer.
And my SS steel kettle is polished,& I keep it that way,so not from there?...:drunk:

Not exactly in the mash but when we went to vorlauf we set up the pump and hoses, that had been cleaned after the last brew. The only problem was a spider had moved in and we injected our hot wort with spider eggs and webbing!! Since we had used whole hops and we had a false bottom we just let it filter out as they wanted to float on top.

After consuming some I was hoping to become Spiderman but it didn't work out for me!:mad:

I was just trying to remember the name of that giant spider in the Harry Potter movies. Name the beer after that? Looked it up,his name was Aragog. Maybe name it aragrog?!

I got a 15 gallon bourbon barrel from a friend at a local distillery and around the inside rim of the bottom of the barrel there were about 200 ladybugs all crammed together trying to hold out the winter, I guess. Brought it home and put it in the garage with all the brew stuff.

Yeah, those guys woke up. They were everywhere. In the mash, on my kettles, on my grain bags... It was ladybug overload for a while.

But it was totally worth it for the free bourbon barrel ;)

If you have rose bushes or other plants that get aphids or spider mites,dump the lady bugs on them. They'll feast on them big time! I used to buy them at the garden center in Elyria to keep those tiny buggers off my roses.

Back