Weird yeast starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cricca

Reaction score
Does this look normal? I'm a bit worried about those bubbles

IMG_0449.jpg

Doesn't look so good but it may only be a not normal fermentation. How long has the starter been in this flask?

Let it sit and room temperature to see if the unusual bubbles disappear.

It's been in the flask, on the stirplate for 36 hours. I put it in the refrigerator and the bubbles seems to be disappearing but I'm still a bit worried. Its an expired (9th july) WLP007

It's been in the flask, on the stirplate for 36 hours. I put it in the refrigerator and the bubbles seems to be disappearing but I'm still a bit worried. Its an expired (9th july) WLP007

Keeping the starter at room temperature will give you quicker results on infection or no infection.

That certainly looks like an infection with those large bubbles, the sign of a slimy layer or pellicle forming. Could be Lactobacillus (quite common) or something else.

I just noticed it's a 1000 ml flask. You'd be better off using a 2 liter flask for 5 gallon batches, for more growth. With a stir plate you can fill it up close to the 2l level, 1.8 liter at least.

Now a larger flask doesn't prevent infections. Any clue where something could have gone wrong? Did you boil the starter wort? Did some grain dust make it into the wort after it cooled? Forgot to sanitize something?

I dont know. I did everything just like i use to do... Is it even possible for an infection to appear in 36 hours?

I dont know. I did everything just like i use to do... Is it even possible for an infection to appear in 36 hours?

36 hours is quick, yes, but not unusual. I've had a few starters that got infected, but luckily it's rare. I know one must have gotten a fruit fly under the foil, as we were being invaded by them suddenly. We systematically eradicated them. Most other infections occurred with no real traceable reason. But as I said, it doesn't happen often.

I'm always meticulous with cleaning and sanitizing, and turn the AC/HP off when working with yeast. I know my 40 year old ductwork has a "felt layer" in it and must harbor unwanted microflora. I'm almost sure it contains Brett and/or wild yeasts. Undoubtedly mold spores too.

From here, the big bubbles look like the beginning of an infection starting to develop. It usually starts with a haze or an ultra thin slimy layer on top of the wort/beer if left still. The pellicle that forms is a side effect of the infection, forming a physical barrier to other intruders.

Now since you're stirring it, it all mixes in, but doesn't stop them from multiplying. If you leave it unstirred at room temps for a day or longer, you may see a pellicle forming. After it stands for a while, you can taste some of the beer on top (pull a small sample, using a well-sanitized tool). It's likely a bit sour and/or funky tasting.

Btw, I dont think i washed the glas with PBW before i used it. I only used Starsan

Back