Weird problem with mash volumes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptainArgo

Reaction score
So, I'm trying to design a recipe in BeerSmith and I have a very weird issue with the mashing step.
I click on the "Mash" button, and it tells me to mash with 48 qts of water. The thing is, my recipe is a partial mash with only 2 lbs of grain.

So I click on "Edit Step", and change the qts/lb. to something reasonable like 1.5 and everything looks normal.

Then I go to the Vols section. I think, "Hey, maybe I'll just steep the Crystal malt and do a tiny 1lb. mash. So I change the "Mash Grain Wt." to 1lb, but the mash water volume stays the same at 3 qts. So I go back to the Mash section to check, and now it says 24 qts instead of 3. In fact, every time I click back and forth between Vols and Mash (even without changing anything!) the Mash volume goes up exponentially, the Sparge volume goes negative, and the whole thing goes wonky until I delete the step, re-add it, and start the madness over again.

What in the world is going on!? What am I doing wrong!? :confused: :confused:
I'm clearly no expert with this software, I'm still learning it -- but this is very bizarre behavior.
It should really warn me about problems instead of just behaving badly.

Back