Weird Film Near top of Fermenter - Mold? (Pics)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gzus13

Reaction score
Hey guys.
I'm not exactly new to homebrewing, but this is the first time I've seen this. Long story short, I went out of town and, quite honestly, sort of forgot about this beer. It's been in the primary fermenter for about 7 weeks. I transferred it to a secondary today and when I opened the lid, there was kind of a slimy looking film on top of the old krausen. I siphoned the beer into the secondary anyway and took a taste. It tastes fine and smells pretty good. But I'm still a little worried because I've never seen a slimy film like this. Is this mold or some type of fungus?

Thanks for the help,
Chris

IMG_1132.JPG

All I'm seeing is krausen. Nothing I'd freak about. Unless a beer tastes like crap, then it's fine.

+1 What type of beer was it? Have you brewed it before? Unless it has a sour taste it should be fine. I've left a batch setting several weeks and it was ok. If your sanitation was good, you should be ok.

Back