Weird fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happydad1689

Reaction score
I have been out of brewing for a while, but recently my wife encourage me to get back into it and so I brewed the small 3 gallon batch.

As you can see in the pics there never really was a big krassen, yet it’s almost done (?). I didn’t even get much airlock activity

I bought the clear carboy to see the action but alas not much. Weird
IMG_1966.JPG
IMG_1969.JPG

Looks normal to me.

Plenty of factors could reduce activity: low temperature, low pitch rate, low oxygenation, low foaming yeast, high mash temp, ...

Check s.g. to make sure it's finished.

Well, it looks like you had a krausen ring which has fallen. But I'm sure you remember two things:
1. Yeast don't read and they ferment on their schedule, not necessarily yours.
2. Visible signs, while comforting, really don't tell you where your fermentation is at. Get that SG reading.....
And welcome back in the saddle!

What they said + 100% accurate.

Not sure how long you've been out of the hobby, but be careful with clear fermenters and light. That beer can be skunked before you think about packaging if you aren't careful. Lots of us use clear fermenters....but not terribly long ago people didn't think to keep them covered or in a dark room.

Back