Weihenstephan festbier yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob3000

Reaction score
I went to a tasting at a local gastro pub where they matched food with weihenstephan beers. There was a rep there to talk us through the beers. I got a chance to try the weihenstephan festbier. It seemed a fairly typical octoberfest style beer and i was amazed when the rep told me they used the same yeast in it as for the regular brews.

Is it possible to use a hefe yeast to create a octoberfest beer? Or was he talking out his arse.

...Or was i too drunk to taste properly. :drunk:

Probably meant the same yeast as their other lagers I would imagine. I don't think there is any way to produce an octobesfest using a weizen yeast.

Considering the different beers they make, the question is probably more accurately "Can you use a lager yeast to make a hefe?"

I went to a tasting at a local gastro pub where they matched food with weihenstephan beers. There was a rep there to talk us through the beers. I got a chance to try the weihenstephan festbier. It seemed a fairly typical octoberfest style beer and i was amazed when the rep told me they used the same yeast in it as for the regular brews.

Is it possible to use a hefe yeast to create a octoberfest beer? Or was he talking out his arse.

...Or was i too drunk to taste properly. :drunk:

Or to drunk to get what he was saying.

You do realize Weihenstephan makes more lagers than ales right?

Ahh. So they also make lagers. I didn't know that.

I knew the guy didn't know what he was talking about. I tried to suggest hefe flavours came from yeast and he looked at me like I was an idiot.

Or to drunk to get what he was saying.

You do realize Weihenstephan makes more lagers than ales right?

Just to clarify i specifically asked is the festbier was brewed with the same yeast as the hefe and he said they were.

they use a lager yeast to bottle condition the hefeweizen, which is likely the same lager yeast that they use in their various lager beers. but in primary fermentation the yeast is their famous hefeweizen ale strain.

Back