Web Software

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrewkorea

Reaction score
Hi,

I am running a community in S. Korea dedicated to our beloved hobby; Homebrew Korea. Conditions aren't particularly easy, brewing wise, in S. Korea which basically has the government to blame. In the past, strict regulations met anyone with the ambition of opening a brewpub. Things have since changed for the brewpub scene a little, but for the homebrewer we still face 260+% import tax on malt.

Those things aside, our community is steadily growing as we spread the word that you need not drink mass produced, watered down lager. Good beer can be had and you can make it yourself!

I am currently looking for a brewing software to run alongside the website to handle recipe formation. I found BrewBlogger, but it is somewhat lacking. Most things are manual, meaning you must separately calculate your OG and FG, etc. Anyways...it isn't really ideal. I ran into CyberBrau today, but it too seems lacking. I have searched high and low and haven't found anything else.

So, my question is.....Do you know of any software out there that is available to run on a website that does everything that we brewers need it to?

Cheers.

First off, welcome to HBT, and kudos for brewing under such adverse conditions!

I mostly use Beersmith. Its unfortunately not a program that runs over a browser, although you can download it from the internet. I use Beer Calculus on occasion. I'm pretty sure it lets you create a login at hopville.com that will keep track of your recipes. I don't think it goes as far as installed programs like Beersmith to calculate strike temp, sparge volumes etc.

Hope this helps.

I currently brew using BeerTools, but am aware of the wide variety of downloadable brewing software, cheers for that though. And yes, HopVille (BeerCalculus) is a great web tool available to brewers. This is basically what I am looking to pair with my website. Something similar to do recipe formation and then host them on my site. Like I mentioned before, BrewBlogger has that goal in mind but falls short as it makes you calculate too many thing manually.

Thanks for the info!

Hi HBK - I just wanted to welcome you, I use BeerSmith rather than web-based software so can't help you with your question. It is great to have you check in here!

Well they already gave you my answer which was also beercalculus. It's the first one I ever started using, and it's pretty easy to use. When I started using it, you couldn't save your recipes, so that's why I switched to beersmith, and then 6 months later they added the saving feature. If they had that when I got started with it, I probably would still be using it exclusively.

I still use it on occasion, if I'm away from my beersmith files and want to create a recipe on the fly. I've even used it from my droid smartpone.

I just want to also tell you that I have been a fan and occasional reader of your blog. I discovered it shortly after you put it up, when someone came on here from Korea looking for connections and help getting started brewing there. I googled and came up with your blog, and got into reading it.

I've referenced it a few times on here. A couple times for Koreans looking for help, AND a couple other brewers from other countries where brewing is difficult, to show them how you've handled brewing where culturally it isn't all that common.

Keep up the good work. Welcome! I'm glad you've finally stumbled on our little home here on the web. If I can be of any help, feel free to ask.

:mug:

Cheers for the kind word Revvy!! If you are ever in Korea, you should stop by for a beer. Our next brewing festival is coming up in November, you still have to get that batch underway!!! :)

I've pretty much given up on finding a software to run along side the website. I even contacted the owner of BeerCalculus asking if he had ever thought about licensing or making the code open source, but that wasn't in his current business plan....fair enough. People use whatever program they like and then we share the recipes in the forums in a similar form.

Cheers.

Back