WB-06 - Two batches of experience...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beergazzi

Reaction score
I've seen people asking on and off about this 'dry wheat beer yeast' and now that I have completed two batches using it, I have some interesting feedback to add to the convesation.

My first batch using it was in a high maize content cream ale (I admittedly used the wrong yeast, meant to grab my US-05, but cut the pack open and then realized, hence I call this my 'cream of wheat' ale). It was 2row, flaked corn (25%), crystal 10, carapils and honey for bottle carbing (2.8oz for a 2.5 gal batch).

It fermented visibly (better bottle) for about a week, and continued to bubbled in the fermenter for another week. OG was 1.043, final gravity was projecting to be 1.013ish, and when I took my measurement, by hydrometed bottomed out below 1.010. The rest of my beer had been primed so I couldn't add to it, but it was easily south of 1.010.The beer is a little overly 'corny', but a little lime cuts that rightout and makes it very good. I pitched around 75 and the room temp it was kept in was never below 65 or above 67, and I taste ZERO 'esters' or 'phenols' or 'clove' or 'banana' or 'bubble gum', neutral all the way. Only issue was too much corn, but thats on me. Overall, with a squeeze of lime or a lot of orange, its pretty good brew.

My soon to be bottled beer, is a 5g Austin Home Brew Lemon Wheat partial mash kit which I added a small amount of orange zest to at the 10m mark.

Again, pitched the WB-06 (Im not playing with liquid yeasts yet) as it was the dry yeast most appropriate here, around 78 degrees and the room it was fermented in was between 65 and 80 (crazy spring swings in NJ), but it kinda started cool and finished warm so I was OK with it from that perspective.

Had an OG of 1.051, and my reading yesterday was 1.006(!!), this was 8 days in primary. Tasted good, lemony, but good, not overly dry, but again no real 'flavors' from the yeast, at least not that I can detect.So, I don't know if this is yeast puts out a true wheat beer characterisitic or not (maybe the corn / lemon flavors were too strong), but it has been a beast in terms of belching out booze. Im almost tempted to try this on a big beer, like a stout, since it seems to ferment like mad, and not put out a single detectable flavor (so far).

Thats it for now, in 2-4 weeks I'll update on my wheat beer post carbing.

I've used this yeast in a more traditional hefeweizen with very good results. Recently scored a 38.5 at a statewide home brew competition. Leans more toward clove than banana, that's what kept it from advancing from the second round. Not that I mind since its right where I want it. It fermented at 68 for three weeks. I'm sure the banana esters could be tweaked at different temps. Give it a shot with a simple grist and low hopping to let the yeast shine.

Hmmm, I have a packet of this yeast in my fridge. I REALLY like the Weihenstephan yeast, which I also have a smack pack of. But having read that the WB-06 isn't very banana-y, I'm not sure I want to use it now. Perhaps in a plain Jane summer ale this summer.

Latest posts

Back