Watery IPA extract brew in primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Penelope

Reaction score
Sorry if this is addressesed elsewhere, but didn't find it.

Day 3 in primary for extract IPA brew and it's very watery. The extract was hopped, but I added an additional 1/2 oz. of Amarillo at 10 minutes to the end of boil and held back 1/2 oz. to add to secondary. Fermentation slowed to less than a glurg a minute and since I broke my hydrometer (how many of these can a person break in a lifetime) I didn't have an OG, so caution to the wind, I racked onto the hops and added another 1.5# of unhopped extract boiled in a little water. The extract is from my bakery and is used in bread baking but looks the same to me, tastes the same too, so again, caution to the wind, I went for it. So now secondary is all closed up, bubbling again. Have I ruined my beer? Could the bakery malt syrup be all that different from the beer malt extract and what can I expect now? Is 1.5# enough to add some body to the beer? The IPA was Munton's, btw, 6# can and I add 2# light malt powder to wort. What have I done?

Most of my beers taste this way before carbonation. I was very worried that I made super watery beer after. 3 weeks in bottle it had the body I was looking for

So there is food grade and brewers grade grain. Brewers grade is the highest quality and thus what you want to brew with. I'm assuming that bakers malt extract is made with food grade grain (barely, wheat perhaps?). What difference it will make in the long run? I don't know but I'm wager ( a small wager, mind you) your beer will be most drinkable. Since it's an IPA it'll probably be a smash! Relax my friend, have a homebrew.

So I haven't destroyed the beer, but what exactly have I done? By adding all that extra sugar, have I made a very alcoholic beer, will the flavor be super malty? Will it be thick? Is it still an IPA or a frankenbeer?

Back