Waterproofing eBay aquarium temp probe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know if this would meet your requirements, but what I did was basically make my own thermal well. Get a 1/8" pipe nipple in the length you want from the hardware store, and get a cap for the end. Use some thread sealant and put the cap on. Then stick the temp probe down in the pipe, and put the pipe in the liquid. It works pretty well. If the pipe is not in contact with your product just black or galvanized pipe nipples will work and so what if they get rusty. For contact with food/drink I get stainless steel pipe nipples from Amazon, even 12" nipple is only like $6.

the probe you get with the stc-1000 is waterproof...

(i've had it in water for a few months now and it still works fine)

An aquarium temperature controller that comes with a probe that is already waterproof? Brilliant!

SteveMillerTime said:
the probe you get with the stc-1000 is waterproof...

(i've had it in water for a few months now and it still works fine)

Even the wire part?

I had mine sitting in bleach water for months still within 0.2C of a calibrated foodservice thermometer.

Nice! Let me go try dunking it in water and see if it doesn't die :drunk:

I don't know if this would meet your requirements, but what I did was basically make my own thermal well. Get a 1/8" pipe nipple in the length you want from the hardware store, and get a cap for the end. Use some thread sealant and put the cap on. Then stick the temp probe down in the pipe, and put the pipe in the liquid. It works pretty well. If the pipe is not in contact with your product just black or galvanized pipe nipples will work and so what if they get rusty. For contact with food/drink I get stainless steel pipe nipples from Amazon, even 12" nipple is only like $6.

I did the same thing using a small length of 1/4" copper pipe and a cap. I soldered the cap on, drilled a hole in the top of a medicine bottle and put it through the hole. I siliconed the bottle to the corner of my keezer and filled it with water. I can pull the probe out of the thermowell easily if I want to tape it to a carboy for a better reading.

another method, if similar:
hobby shop - brass tubing for hobbyists - find the size that your probe slides into. cut to desired length. Epoxy (JB weld works) one end shut with a blob. Slide the probe into the tube, fill with epoxy. Now water proof, and temperature sensitive, a bit quicker than a piece of pipe.

Back