Watermelon wine recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James0816

Reaction score
Anyone have a good recipe for watermelon wine? I looked in the recipe section and was kind of surprised not to find one.

Thanks

Never actually tried to make a watermelon wine because the consensus is that the juice often goes bad before the fermentation takes off but if you have a healthy and large colony of yeast I don't know that there is a recipe other than you add enough sugar to the juiced melon to bring the gravity up to about 1.090, add tannin and nutrients and let it rip until the gravity drops to 1.000 or lower, you stabilize and then sweeten to whatever level of sweetness you prefer and taste to see how much acidity to add , add the lemon juice or acid blend and then bottle.

EC kraus.
Has s great receipt.

I added 2 cups of white raisens and used 2tbs lemon juice besides the acid blend.
I didn't use a bag either so I had to rack of the lees a few times.
Just racked for the 3ed time and I think it's great.
Should really be good by July 2019.

Cheers

Last edited:
EC kraus.
Has s great receipt.

I added 2 cups of white raisens and used 2tbs lemon juice besides the acid blend.
I didn't use a bag either so I had to rack of the lees a few times.
Just racked for the 3ed time and I think it's great.
Should really be good by July 2019.

Cheers
Excellent! I will have to give this a go after my banana moves from primary. Just to verify, instead of using the acid blend, you used lemon juice?

Yes.
I have learned with the fruit wines that the acid blends called for and the tannin can be substituted for other things. I have used lemon peels and lime peels and juices. Raises give body to light fruit wines. I also used d47 yeast with my watermelon because it gives the wine more body.
Receipts are flexible if you ask me.
Excellent! I will have to give this a go after my banana moves from primary. Just to verify, instead of using the acid blend, you used lemon juice?

Yes.
I have learned with the fruit wines that the acid blends called for and the tannin can be substituted for other things. I have used lemon peels and lime peels and juices. Raises give body to light fruit wines. I also used d47 yeast with my watermelon because it gives the wine more body.
Receipts are flexible if you ask me.

D47 is my go to as well.

I'm new to making wine. This is my first try. Using watermelon,made juice,added black tea,raisins,lemon juice. Mixed everything except yeast. Let sit a day,then added yeast. Fermentation started. Stayed active over two days. I siphoned off in to another glass jug. It has been a couple days and nothing is happening. When I was siphoning,it had a sour taste. Any info would be appreciated., Did I do something wrong.?. What should I do next?.

Latest posts

Back