Watermelon Pickles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SEndorf

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Grandma used to regularly make these on the farm.
I can only find them in gourmet stores for a ridiculous price.
Anyone else miss watermelon pickles?

Yes.
I don’t like pumpkin. However, picked pumpkin is pretty good too.

I have never heard of them. But am now very intrigued. So are they pickles in watermelon juice? Or pickled watermelon?

I haven’t had them, but my wife tells me that they are the pickled rinds of the watermelon. She said that she wasn’t fond of them, at least not the way her friend made them.

I've only made them once, a long time ago, and was not impressed. but that was just one attempt.
You take watermelon rinds, peel the outer rind off, and pickle the rest of the rind about like cucumbers. Usually they are sweet pickles.

The ones I had years ago were sweet pickled. Mmmm. Same thing with pumpkin (which otherwise makes me want to puke...) good stuff.

I figured it was the rinds pickled. Sweet pickling is not what I pictured, but makes sense.

Version I had as a kid was the actual melon portion was pickled and not sweet. Guess I should have asked for the recipie since I’ve never seen it in stores.

https://altonbrown.com/watermelon-rind-pickles-recipe/

Ingredients
  1. Rind from a watermelon 5 pound watermelon, approximately 2 pounds
  2. 1 cup apple cider vinegar
  3. 1 cup water
  4. 3/4 cup sugar
  5. 2 ounces candied or crystalized ginger chunks (1/4 cup)
  6. 4 teaspoons kosher salt
  7. 1 teaspoon red pepper flake
  8. 1 teaspoon allspice berries
  9. 1 star anise pod
Instructions
  1. Scoop out melon leaving about 1/4-1/2 inch of red flesh.
  2. Peel off outer green with vegetable peeler and then cut into 1-inch cubes.
  3. Bring the apple cider vinegar, water, sugar, ginger, salt and spices to a boil over medium-high heat in a medium saucepan (2-quart). Hold the boil for 60 seconds then carefully add the watermelon. Return to a boil and turn off the heat. Remove the pan from the heat and cool for 30 minutes.
  4. Move the pickles to a 2-quart jar using a canning funnel and ladle. Pour on as much of the pickling juice as possible. Cover the jar and leave at room temperature for another one and half hours.
  5. Refrigerate overnight and consume within a month. These pickles must be refrigerated.
Notes great as a side with grilled dishes or as salad tossed with crispy, crumbled bacon and served over greens.

image.jpg

I just got this tiny jar of pickled pumpkin today. Merry Christmas.

Back