Water volume issue with BeerSmith

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stonebrewer

Invented the IPL
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've used BS ever since I started brewing with no issues. I recently changed my brew pot to a 15G pot from a 10G pot, using the 10G as my HLT.

Ever since that change, my final volume has been .25G to 1.25G short! I suspect that the bigger, better quality kettle is to blame and that it's boil off rate is a lot higher. I cannot find any evidence that one kettle boils more efficiently than the other, so I was wondering if anyone has experienced this?

Guess my only option is to boil water for an hour, measure the loss, and change the rate in BS??:confused:

I've used BS ever since I started brewing with no issues. I recently changed my brew pot to a 15G pot from a 10G pot, using the 10G as my HLT.

Ever since that change, my final volume has been .25G to 1.25G short! I suspect that the bigger, better quality kettle is to blame and that it's boil off rate is a lot higher. I cannot find any evidence that one kettle boils more efficiently than the other, so I was wondering if anyone has experienced this?

Guess my only option is to boil water for an hour, measure the loss, and change the rate in BS??:confused:

I would go in and change the boil off setting- instead of a %, use the amount you've boiled off. If your final volume has been .25 gallon to 1.25 gallon short, then I'd just start with adding .5 gallon to the volume in BS and see where you are next time.

I would go in and change the boil off setting- instead of a %, use the amount you've boiled off. If your final volume has been .25 gallon to 1.25 gallon short, then I'd just start with adding .5 gallon to the volume in BS and see where you are next time.

Not a bad idea. I think that is easier than me doing an hour boil for no other reason...:mug:

If your new pot is wider across the top and exposing more surface area the boil off rate will increase due to the greater surface area being exposed to the atmosphere

Back