Water report question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The data you are looking at is at best 2 years old and you have no idea what time of the year that sample was pulled. City water reports are not brewing friendly. The easiest step you can take is to take a sample of your treated/filtered brewing water as you would use it and send it to Ward Labs. They have a test specifically for brewers;

https://producers.wardlab.com/default.aspx?ReturnUrl=/

When you get back the information you can then decide how to adjust the water for style or dilute with RO, etc.

You could build to style using Brun'water.

You could always start now with RO and add brewing salts as an experiment as well.

So here are the results I got from Ward. I would appreciate any feedback and suggestions. I've tried figuring this out on my own and I'm just not getting it.

pH 8.0
Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) Est, ppm 261
Electrical Conductivity, mmho/cm 0.44
Cations / Anions, me/L 4.3 / 4.3
ppm
Sodium, Na 32
Potassium, K 2
Calcium, Ca 40
Magnesium, Mg 10
Total Hardness, CaCO3 142
Nitrate, NO3-N 2.0 (SAFE)
Sulfate, SO4-S 8
Chloride, Cl 77
Carbonate, CO3 6
Bicarbonate, HCO3 75
Total Alkalinity, CaCO3 72
Total Phosphorus, P 0.39
Total Iron, Fe < 0.01

Download the Bru'N Water Spreadsheet, you can find it pretty easily.

Enter in your water report info into it, it also has a Water Knowledge tab at the bottom that does a really good job of describing stuff.
You can always buy the Water book as well, although that goes very in depth you can get some good info out of it.

Latest posts

Back