Water report advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You have alkalinity of 5.16 mEq/L which is a hefty amount. You will need a lot of dark malt to overcome that so you are either going to have to get rid of it with dilution or acid. You'll need about 90% of the given alkalinity as acid i.e. about 4.5 mEq/L and that means 4.5 mEq of lactate, phosphate, sulfate, chloride added to each liter treated depending on which acid is chosen.

Question:

Are you running this water through a water softener?

Thank you ajdelange for the quick response. That seems like a lot of acid to add to overcome the alkalinity. I would assume running this water thru a ro filter would be my best route to go. I can then use water software to add salts to a more appropriate level and acid malt to adjust the mash ph.

The bishop. This is my city water after it has been filtered with a carbon whole house filter. No water softener.

The water report confirms that the water is not from a water softener. What the report does say, is that it has a lot of alkalinity and sulfate. Dilution is the best solution.

Thank you mabrungard for your input. I will be filtering with a ro filter and building up from there. Will see how it goes. Wish me luck.

Thank you ajdelange for the quick response. That seems like a lot of acid to add to overcome the alkalinity.
Yes it is but that's how much it is going to take. You could try taking a quart of it and acidifying to mash pH using drops of 1 N (the 10% phosphoric they sell at the home brew stores). Taste and see if you think that level of phosphate objectionable.

I would assume running this water thru a ro filter would be my best route to go.
Yes, I rather think so. You also have a pretty hefty SO4 level (117 mg/L) znd RO would get rid of that too.

I'm blind, I didn't see the calcium number. Saw the sodium and thought 'softener.'

Back