Water question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DCBrewer

Reaction score
I could use a little help clarifying some information from Palmer's How to Brew with respect to water. Based on my muni water report, my calcium averages around 30ppm, below the optimal brewing range stated by Palmer of 50-150ppm. My magnesium averages 10.1, which is right on the low end of Palmer's range of 10-30ppm. Alkalinity averages 81ppm. pH averages 7.4 S.U. (I should also note that the reported highs and lows creates a wide range but assume the averages for purposes of the question.) Using the nomographs in Chapter 15.3, it suggests my mash pH should be fine for the style I want to brew (base malt mash pH of around 5.7 and residual alkalinity of around minus10).

Two questions: Does it seem right that the reported pH is 7.4 and I don't need to do anything to adjust the pH to get to where I need to be? And if my estimated mash pH is where I need it to be, do I need to otherwise worry about the low calcium and magnesium? Palmer seems to suggest that I should worry about the low calcium level, though I can't tell if that's only if it otherwise affects my mash pH. Thanks

Most water out of the tap or bottle will be close to 7 since that is neutral. The malt will lower that pH usually into the desired range without you having to mess with it. The exception to this is if you use too much strike water, diluting the mash and raising the pH too high.

If you want to play with your water chemistry I would suggest BeerSmith or one of the other online tools which would assist in applying the correct adjustments for a particular water type (hard v. soft) or region.

Believe me, I don't want to mess with the water if I don't hav to. It feels like the water should be ok (after charcoal filter). Just want to make sure I don't need to add some calcium (and then recalc my pH etc).

I'm in the same situation as you. I use the Brew'n Water calculator to figure out how much of the 7.8pH in my water will be buffered out by my malt bill. If I need to adjust, I do so with lactic acid. I also have to add about 3 grams of calcium chloride per 5 gallon batch to get my calcium to where it needs to be. I gained about 5% mash efficiency with this single step.

I'm in the same situation as you. I use the Brew'n Water calculator to figure out how much of the 7.8pH in my water will be buffered out by my malt bill. If I need to adjust, I do so with lactic acid. I also have to add about 3 grams of calcium chloride per 5 gallon batch to get my calcium to where it needs to be. I gained about 5% mash efficiency with this single step.

+1, Bru'n Water, or even EZ Water are great tools for adjusting your water, I have been adjusting my RO water for the last 4-5 brew days, and I have had some success (and failures...due to forgetting to add my kettle additions.)

However, if you really want to make adjustments to your water use one of the tools available.

If you haven't found them they are located in the brewing science forum in a sticky on Water.

So far, Bru'n Water has been the most helpful, but EZ Water is the simplest to use, Kai Troester (braukaiser) also has a Water adjustment tool on his Wiki which you can find by Googling it. He has done a ton of research on many things brewing related, and I suggest perusing his site if you want to learn about water Chemistry plus he has done a bunch of different controlled experiments on beer, and things beer related.

Back