Water question using Brunwater with Partial Boil (Not partial mash)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeamAshBrewing

Reaction score
Hello,

I will be brewing an English Northern Brown Ale, a New Castle clone recipe from @BierMuncher.
I will be doing an all grain partial boil (not partial mash no LME) method where I will no sparge mash, and after boil, top up with 3.25 gallons water for 5 gallons of wort into the fermenter. I plan on using 70% RO and 30% tap water for both strike and top up water.

My question is, what water volume do I plug into Brunwater, the mash water volume (3.91 gals) or both the mash and top up water (7.16 gals), or something else.
And should I treat the top up water differently than the strike/mash water?
Feedback on water profile and adjustments is also welcome and appreciated.

Recipe for 5 gallon batch
8lbs Pale Malt

1lb Flaked Corn
8oz Cara-pils
8oz Caramel 20L
8oz Caramel 60L
8oz Caramel 80L
4oz Chocolate Malt 350L
1oz Special B 180L

17.9 SRM (18.5 calc by Brunwater)

Plugging that into Beersmith I get

3.91 gals strike water
3.25 gals Top Up Water
7.16 gallons total water used.

Only Mash water treated
upload_2018-3-26_21-24-57.png

All water treated
upload_2018-3-26_21-25-18.png

Thanks a lot,

Chris

The total batch volume is only used to calculate the overall beer color, so you can ignore it to some degree. It's the mashing and sparging volumes that are important. If you're going to top up the water, I would consider that volume as part of the sparging volume. That way, you'll properly dose that top up water with the acids or salts that you want in your beer.

Back