Water Pump Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I_Brew_Therefore_I_Am

Reaction score
Hello all! So, here in California as many of you know, we are going through a terrible drought. I was considering buying a big drum to circulate the water to the wort chiller and then back to the drum. Some questions...

First of all, does anyone have any suggestions on which pump would be good for the task?

Second, I am clueless on how pumps work. If someone could please explain to me how to connect it or how they work or have a video or know of one, or any of the above that would be great!

Thank you all in advance!

You could use a pond pump from Home Depot...

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Don't think that'll cut it. That's 80 gph at 1 foot of lift... I'd look in the 400+ gph range, and pay close attention to the water lift height. You probably don't want to run it at more than 50% of its max lift...

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Not sure on your version of "Big on the wallet" but something like this. It comes in various sizes, the smallest looks like it would be sufficient. 400 gph and 7.5 ft. head for about $65. If you look around, you can probably find something similar for less. As Domer said you're going to need to pay attention to the max head, if you use a submersible in the bottom of a barrel, that's going to be probably 3ft. min.

Back