Water Profile

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buzzbeer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I got my report from Wards Labs and with a adjusting I can get to the following profile. What do you all think about this for a Blonde/Cream Ale?

Ca 92
Mg 11
Na 41
Cl 136
SO4 101
CaCO3 61

I got my report from Wards Labs and with a adjusting I can get to the following profile. What do you all think about this for a Blonde/Cream Ale?

Ca 92
Mg 11
Na 41
Cl 136
SO4 101
CaCO3 61

Due to the high chloride and sulfate, I'd dilute it at least 50% with RO water or distilled water. You will probably need a bit of acid to get the mash pH at 5.4-5.5.

Thanks Yooper, I've really been struggling with this water issue.

The report from Wards is different from the city info I got. Real variance is in the Ca, city says 30 ppm and Wards says 1 ppm. Should I try to get the chloride and sulfate down on the 50 ppm range?

Here's the Wards report
Ca 1
Mg 1
Na 54
Cl 12
SO4 15
HCO3 100

What do you suggest?

Thanks Yooper, I've really been struggling with this water issue.

The report from Wards is different from the city info I got. Real variance is in the Ca, city says 30 ppm and Wards says 1 ppm. Should I try to get the chloride and sulfate down on the 50 ppm range?

Here's the Wards report
Ca 1
Mg 1
Na 54
Cl 12
SO4 15
HCO3 100

What do you suggest?

That's a lot better! If the sheet is S04-S, when you add this to a spreadsheet for brewing water, multiple that by 3, so it should be 45 ppm.

Your HCo3 is a bit high, so you will need some acid or acid malt to get your pH in range, unless making a darker colored beer. Or dilute with some RO or distilled water.

You can add a little calcium chloride to your water, to bring up the calcium and the chloride.

You will have to acidify your sparge water, due to the high HCO3.

Latest posts

Back