Water profile

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PowPow

Reaction score
I'm about to brew an american brown ale (Jannis Brown ale from Brewing Classic styles).

I have done som reading on water adjustments and would be grateful if someone with more experience could take a look at my adjustments. Anything that looks crazy? Would you have done anything different?

ONt6x12.png

Link to screenshot if hot linking doesn't work:
http://i.imgur.com/ONt6x12.png

I don't use EZWater, but assuming those values shown are accurate, you should be just fine. I find that EZWater is not as accurate as Bru'n but your miles may vary. Gordon Strong recognizes that the actual concentrations rather than the ratio of sulfate to chloride is more important in "Brewing Better Beer" and the same sentiment is discussed in the Palmer/Kaminsky "Water" book - use the ratio only as a general guideline.

I would suggest this: For a brown ale, unless you intend to make it very hoppy, I would focus more achieving around 50 ppm sulfate and 60 ppm chloride to emphasize a malty profile - invert that for a slightly more bitter/hoppy focus - but that is a very subtle change. Maybe, if necessary, add enough lactic acid to bring that mash pH right to 5.4.

Thank you mchrispen!
I will take a look at Bru'n as well to double check my numbers.

The reason I got worried was that I always seem to get a negative number on residual alkalinity. But if I have understood it right that should not be a problem...

Back