Water profile question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stewey

Reaction score
I was looking at starting to play with my water profiles for different beers. The question is? is there a good way to find out what profile will work best with what beer. Up to now I have been looking at other recipes on line and trying to match a recipe that is close the best I can. Just looking for input of how some other people fine the best profile for there beers, or if what I am doing is the only and best way?

I guess a couple key questions -

1.) Do you know your water profile? (water report/Ward labs)

It is important to know what you are actually starting with before you start changing or adjusting.

2.) Are there particular beers you are thinking of?

3.) Have you checked out the "water primer" in the Brew Science forum? It is a way of starting with RO water and adding minerals to suit broad styles.... It is a general way to start.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f128/brewing-water-chemistry-primer-198460/

4.)And, in hindsight - should have probably asked this first - all grain or extract brewing?

Yes I have a report on my water from the lab. I am brewing all grain. And I do no how to add to the water what it needs. I guess my big question is how do I no what the ideal profile for different beers are?

If I may stewey, I might add to the comment, (I brew with stewey) we are looking for some good profiles for types of beers. Brewersfriend.com provides us with a couple, just seeing if there is anything out there that provides a little more variety.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Home Brew mobile app

I use B'run Water - it has many profiles in it.

Also, the new "Water" book that is out has some good profile information. I also get a lot of my starting points from the "The Jamil Show" podcast - http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/The-Jamil-Show
Covers all the BJCP styles and often addresses water.

Brewstrong podcast and some of the others have some good episodes on water as well.

Brewing Classic Styles does some of this as well.

I share your desire for better water profile information though...... I have asked the same thing before - Is there a place where you can go to get specific profile information. Essentially, I want final numbers for, say a pilsner or a dortmunder or an american IPA or a bitter. Calcium, Mg, Sulfate, Chloride, Sodium, Bicarbonate..... the key ones.

There is a lot of good information out there, but often, you have to dig for it or piece it together. Also, in general, from what I have read and heard - the traditional "historic" profiles that are put forth are not really useful. The boiled version of those waters are probably more useful, but even those are not the final profile that most of us are looking for.

I would be very interested in a more concise list of water profile information too - hopefully someone else will chime in and direct to something that is more clear.

The Brew Science forum has a lot of this info too - especially if you search for specific styles you are interested in.

I use the brunwater spreadsheet which has profiles on it. There are city profiles, but it's better to use the ones that describe the type of flavor you're going for. Yellow bitter, black balanced, etc.

Back