Water profile for RIS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jturman35

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys I was wondering if this water profile looked alright for a RIS I’m brewing? I’d prefer my stout to finish on the dryer side.

IMG_6539.JPG
IMG_6540.JPG

Rolled with the adjustments above.

Mash ph @ 20 mins 5.4
Mash ph @ 50 mins 5.2

I realize the mash changes through out the mash but do I need to focus on the ending mash ph and correct the next time I brew this?

I'd call that a success!

When best to check pH? My suggestion is RDWHAHB.
FWIW I check mine at 15-30 minutes since that's after pH has had a chance to mostly stabilize but still when the enzymes are near peak activity. There are plenty of threads debating this question and I don't think there's a consensus.

Cheers

Mash pH changes during the mashing duration depending on where the strike water pH starts. So that means that for paler mashes where your water has to have little or no alkalinity, pH will rise during the mashing period. Darker mashes that require strike water with some alkalinity are likely to have their pH fall during the mashing period.

To target a pH at the early part of the mash is not really wise or meaningful since it is likely to change up or down during the mash. The argument that enzymes in the early in the mash are a reason to get pH 'right' is not well founded. I recommend that brewers measure and observe their early pH, but its actually the pH after about 45 minutes that influences how the beer will taste and be perceived.

PS: the pH of thin mashes vary more than traditional thicker mashes. This is something that BIAB brewers need to understand and anticipate.

Thanks Martin! That’s what I wasn’t sure of. I know a ph around 5.5 enhances the roast character in a RIS, is there a perceivable difference in a beer finishing at 5.2 instead of 5.5? I have done numerous batches using salts, but this one had quite a bit of additions from what I typically use. Also my first time using pickling lime, strike water was pretty cloudy.

Couldn’t do this without using your software. Thanks!

Back